Subject: [PATCH V2 2/2] ARM: shmobile: r8a7791: add i2c2 bus to koelsch dt

From: [email-masked] (Sergei Shtylyov)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 16:10:51 +0400

Hello.

On 05/12/2014 11:35 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

>>>>>> +  eeprom at 50 {
>>>>>> +          compatible = "renesas,24c02";

>>>>>     This is not quite right: Renesas' part is called differently, and
>>>>> you're carrying the other vendor's naming onto Renesas parts. I'd
>>>>> just say "24c02" (which I'll do in the Henninger board patch).

>>>> What about "generic"?

>>>     I don't know, really. However, you're right in that there should
>>> be some vendor prefix -- I've just seen
>>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/eeprom.txt.

>> A quick survey of arch/arm/boot/dts/ yields:

>> "atmel,24c02" (22 times)
>> "microchip,24c02" (once)
>> "mcp,24c02" (once)

>> So it seems to me that precedence is in favour of using "renesas,24c02".

> Except that the Renesas part is called differently (as Sergei already pointed
> out), unlike the Atmel and Microchip parts.

> So it should be:

>          compatible = "renesas,r1ex24002", "<something>,24c02";

    Unfortunately, that way the legacy I2C driver matching used now won't work 
anymore. :-(

> Unfortunately the datasheet doesn't mention compatibility with parts from
> other manufacturers.

> So let's <something> be "atmel"?

    Yes, probably. But the "renesas,r1ex24002" part have to be dropped.

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>                          Geert

WBR, Sergei