Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/9] dt: dependencies (for deterministic driver initialization order based on the DT)

From: [email-masked] (Alexander Holler)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 19:53:58 +0200

Am 14.05.2014 19:45, schrieb Alexander Holler:

> One of the biggest problem of the deferred probe stuff is the problem
> how to identify real problems if everything ends up with a deferred
> probe when an error occurs? That means if you display an error whenever
> something is deferred, the log becomes almost unreadable. If you don't
> display an error, you never will see an error. And how do you display
> the real error when deferred probes finally do fail? The deferred probe
> stuff doesn't has any information about the underlying error, so it
> can't display it.

And that is a real problem. I've recently tried to identify why a driver 
failed and it was a nightmare because nothing offered any message (debug 
or not) when a probe was deferred. So I had to insert tons of printks to 
walk upwards to find the finally place where the probe failed. 
Everything afterwards just has forwarded the -EPROBE_DEFER without 
printing any message.

Regards,

Alexander Holler