Subject: mainline boot: 64 boots: 62 pass, 2 fail (v3.16-rc1-2-gebe0618)

From: [email-masked] (Tushar Behera)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:58:31 +0530

On 06/26/2014 10:34 PM, Andreas F?rber wrote:
> Hi Kevin and Tushar,
> 
> Am 26.06.2014 16:59, schrieb Kevin Hilman:
>>> IMO, the bug is in u-boot and we should fix that.
>>
>> I agree that the u-boot bug needs to be fixed, and FWIW, I updated my
>> u-boot and haven't seen the boot failure yet after several boots with
>> next-20140625.
> 
> Could you clarify your test setup: Are you using the original InSignal
> SPL [1] with just your own u-boot.bin? Or do you have access to some
> newer Samsung-signed SPL?
> 

The u-boot changes for Arndale-Octa was done as part of an activity
within Linaro. Insignal had signed the SPL binary for us. You can
extract the signed SPL binary from following hwpack[6] (tar xfz and then
within u_boot folder[7]).

The source code for this u-boot can be found here.[8]

Just in case, commands to flash u-boot binaries are listed here.[9]

>> That being said, since it's not always feasible/practical to update
>> u-boot, and when it comes down to it, this is still a kernel
>> regression, we should also fix the kernel to sanity check the values
>> coming from u-boot, like it was doing before.
> 
> Sounds good.
> 
> Apart from this memory issue here, I noticed that CPUs don't appear to
> be in HYP mode for virtualization, which had required a signed SPL
> update for the ODROID-XU [2]. And to me it looks as if there's no
> Arndale Octa support in upstream U-Boot [3], no real maintenance on the
> InSignal fork [4] and a policy of not cooperating with others [5].
> 

Adding Arndale-Octa support to upstream U-Boot was on a TODO list, but
that didn't materialize because of some other reasons.

> Thanks,
> Andreas
> 
> [1] http://forum.insignal.co.kr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3199
> [2] http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2778&start=40#p32581
> [3]
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=boards.cfg;h=947f2bc5ba2794c94b3b2cea04664f005e025f9f;hb=HEAD#l286
> [4] http://git.insignal.co.kr/insignal/arndale_octa-jb_mr1.1/u-boot/
> [5] http://forum.insignal.co.kr/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3613
> 
[6]
http://snapshots.linaro.org/kernel-hwpack/linux-linaro-tracking-ll-arndale-octa/442/hwpack_linaro-arndale-octa_20140626-442_armhf_supported.tar.gz
[7] <path_to_extracted_folder>/u_boot/usr/lib/u-boot/arndale_octa
[8]
git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/samsung/u-boot.git/shortlog/refs/heads/tracking-arndale_octa
[9] http://pastebin.com/pfGF2giq

Thanks,
-- 
Tushar Behera