Subject: Oops: 17 SMP ARM (v3.16-rc2)

From: [email-masked] (Nathan Lynch)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 08:00:40 -0500

On 06/30/2014 07:30 AM, Fredrik Noring wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 04:16:57PM +0000, Fredrik Noring wrote:
>>> Please find below a trace that appeared once with 3.16-rc2. Perhaps it
>>> is of some interest?
>>
>> It's not that serious... I know that the FEC ethernet driver is horrendously
>> racy (I have had a patch set for about the last six months which fixes some of
>> its problems) but as I've had a lot of patches to deal with, and it's been
>> pushed to the back of the queue...
>>
>> The races don't lead to data corruption though, merely timeouts and some
>> lost packets.

> It seems to be a compiler issue, where (GCC) 4.8.2 does not produce a
properly
> working kernel. Happily, (Fedora 2013.11.24-2.fc19) 4.8.1 appears to
do a lot
> better. No crashes so far with v3.16-rc2!
>

Did you narrow it down to a particular GCC bug?  The symptoms you
reported remind me of:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=58854

Sadly, unpatched GCC 4.8.1 and 4.8.2 are unsuitable for building ARM
kernels.