Subject: [PATCH 13/16] cpuidle: mvebu: Move the description of the cpuidle states in the platform part

From: [email-masked] (Gregory CLEMENT)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 15:23:56 +0200

Hi Thomas,

>> In order to prepare the add of new SoCs supports for this cpuidle
> 
> "the add of new SoCs supports for this cpuidle" -> "the addition of the
> support for more SoCs in this cpuidle".
> 
>> driver, this patch moves the description of the state in the platform
>> part. Indeed the number of the cpuidle state, and the value of the
>> flag used will vary depending of the SoC.
> 
> I actually don't really agree with the reasoning here. We can perfectly
> fine have several separate compatible strings, one for each SoC. We do
> this for pinctrl, for clocks, and for many other drivers. Why should it
> be different for the cpuidle driver? I know the function to enter idle
> will most likely implemented in arch/arm/mach-mvebu/ because those
> functions are generally too tightly coupled with a bunch of system
> registers changes, but the description of the different idle states can
> just as well be inside the cpuidle driver itself.

So that would means a different probe and driver name for each SOC?
Indeed it is doable. With my solution adding the support for a new Soc
won't modify the cpu idle driver itself, so the merge would be easier.
But I admit that it is a misuse of the mach- directory.

Thanks,

Gregory

-- 
Gregory Clement, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com