Subject: [PATCH v3 1/1] iommu-api: Add map_sg/unmap_sg functions

From: [email-masked] (Olav Haugan)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:21:48 -0700

On 7/29/2014 2:25 AM, Will Deacon wrote:
> Hi Olav,
> 
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 01:50:08AM +0100, Olav Haugan wrote:
>> On 7/28/2014 12:11 PM, Will Deacon wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 07:38:51PM +0100, Olav Haugan wrote:
>>>> +int iommu_map_sg(struct iommu_domain *domain, unsigned long iova,
>>>> +			struct scatterlist *sg, unsigned int nents,
>>>> +			int prot, unsigned long flags)
>>>> +{
>>>> +	int ret = 0;
>>>> +	unsigned long offset = 0;
>>>> +
>>>> +	BUG_ON(iova & (~PAGE_MASK));
>>>> +
>>>> +	if (unlikely(domain->ops->map_sg == NULL)) {
>>>> +		unsigned int i;
>>>> +		struct scatterlist *s;
>>>> +
>>>> +		for_each_sg(sg, s, nents, i) {
>>>> +			phys_addr_t phys = page_to_phys(sg_page(s));
>>>> +			u32 page_len = PAGE_ALIGN(s->offset + s->length);
>>>
>>> Hmm, this is a pretty horrible place where CPU page size (from the sg list)
>>> meets the IOMMU and I think we need to do something better to avoid spurious
>>> failures. In other words, the sg list should be iterated in such a way that
>>> we always pass a multiple of a supported iommu page size to iommu_map.
>>>
>>> All the code using PAGE_MASK and PAGE_ALIGN needn't match what is supported
>>> by the IOMMU hardware.
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean. How can we iterate over the sg list in a
>> different way to ensure we pass a multiple of a supported iommu page
>> size? Each entry in the sg list are physically discontinuous from each
>> other. If the page is too big iommu_map will take care of it for us. It
>> already finds the biggest supported page size and splits up the calls to
>> domain->ops->map(). Also, whoever allocates memory for use by IOMMU
>> needs to be aware of what the supported minimum size is or else they
>> would get mapping failures anyway.
> 
> I agree that we can't handle IOMMUs that have a minimum page size larger
> than the CPU page size, but we should be able to handle the case where the
> maximum supported page size on the IOMMU is smaller than the CPU page size
> (e.g. 4k IOMMU with 64k pages on the CPU). I think that could trip a BUG_ON
> with your patch, although the alignment would be ok in iommu_map because
> page sizes are always a power-of-2. You also end up rounding the size to
> 64k, which could lead to mapping more than you really need to.

Which BUG_ON would I trip? If the supported IOMMU page size is less than
the CPU supported page size then iommu_map will nicely take care of
splitting up the mapping calls into sizes supported by the IOMMU (taken
care of by iommu_pgsize()). However, I see you point regarding the
PAGE_ALIGN of the offset+length that can cause overmapping which you
don't really want. What is the alternative here? Just leave it and do
not align at all? That is how iommu_map() currently works. It will
return error if the iova|phys|size is not aligned to the minimum pgsize
supported by the IOMMU. So I would not change the behavior if I just
left it without trying to align.

I will remove the BUG_ON for (iova & (~PAGE_MASK)).

>> (The code in __map_sg_chunk in arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c does the same
>> thing btw.)
> 
> I have the same objection to that code :)

I am hoping we can remove/simplify some of that code when we have the
iommmu_map_sg API available....

Thanks,

Olav

-- 
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation