Subject: [Linaro-acpi] [RFC PATCH for Juno 1/2] net: smsc911x add support for probing from ACPI

From: [email-masked] (Jon Masters)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 02:51:42 -0400

Hi Arnd,

On 09/03/2014 11:09 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2014 01:00:23 Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>> Our intention is specifically not to use "random incompatible bindings"
>> in that.  We'd rather have a common venue and process for establishing
>> new bindings for both DT and _DSD in a compatible way.
> 
> Right, I think everyone is on the same page for the embedded x86 case,
> my point was that there is no consensus about that yet among the
> parties involved in arm64 servers.

However, in the case of MAC devices where you might need to specify just
a couple of properties using _DSD, a specific set of discussions has
been instigated. As you mentioned, though, this pertains only to certain
devices and isn't necessarily true for every Ethernet device.
Consequently, while a Juno PoC patch might use a kludge today, that
doesn't mean it's a limitation of ACPI, just of certain devices.

Jon.