Subject: [PATCH v6 0/4] Tegra124 soctherm driver

From: [email-masked] (Mikko Perttunen)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:00:11 +0300

On 09/26/2014 02:48 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 01:22:52PM +0300, Mikko Perttunen wrote:
>> On 09/26/2014 01:19 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
>>> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 12:43:09PM +0300, Mikko Perttunen wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> this series adds support for the thermal monitoring features of the
>>>> soctherm unit on the Tegra124 SoC.
>>>>
>>>> The branch is also available in my github repo,
>>>>    git://github.com/cyndis/linux.git soctherm-v6
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Mikko
>>>>
>>>> Mikko Perttunen (4):
>>>>    of: Add bindings for nvidia,tegra124-soctherm
>>>>    ARM: tegra: Add soctherm and thermal zones to Tegra124 device tree
>>>>    ARM: tegra: Add thermal trip points for Jetson TK1
>>>>    thermal: Add Tegra SOCTHERM thermal management driver
>>>>
>>>>   .../devicetree/bindings/thermal/tegra-soctherm.txt |  53 +++
>>>>   arch/arm/boot/dts/tegra124-jetson-tk1.dts          |  44 ++
>>>>   arch/arm/boot/dts/tegra124.dtsi                    |  47 ++
>>>>   drivers/thermal/Kconfig                            |  10 +
>>>>   drivers/thermal/Makefile                           |   1 +
>>>>   drivers/thermal/tegra_soctherm.c                   | 471 +++++++++++++++++++++
>>>>   include/dt-bindings/thermal/tegra124-soctherm.h    |  13 +
>>>>   7 files changed, 639 insertions(+)
>>>>   create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/thermal/tegra-soctherm.txt
>>>>   create mode 100644 drivers/thermal/tegra_soctherm.c
>>>>   create mode 100644 include/dt-bindings/thermal/tegra124-soctherm.h
>>>
>>> One thing that I've wanted to start doing for a while now is request
>>> patch submissions like this to come accompanied with a way on how to
>>> test them. Ideally this would be in a scripted way that can test for
>>> success programatically, but it doesn't necessarily have to be if it
>>> turns out too difficult or impractical to do.
>>
>> Indeed, that would be very useful.
>>
>>>
>>> The goal is to eventually come up with a test suite that can run the
>>> majority of test cases automatically to make it easy to test for any
>>> regressions. And even if tests can't be run automatically it'd still
>>> be an advantage to have them all collected in some repository, since
>>> it saves a lot of typing and time to run tests, and it will give us
>>> a standard set of tests that everybody can verify changes against.
>>>
>>> I realize that it's somewhat unfair to start requesting this from you
>>> now, but we've got to start somewhere. Could you give a short summary
>>> of how you test this? What are the interfaces that the kernel exposes
>>> for these thermal drivers?
>>
>> You need to enable the driver in Device Drivers -> Generic Thermal sysfs
>> driver -> Tegra SOCTHERM thermal management. Then, you should see
>> directories appear in /sys/class/thermal. You can also use the `tmon' tool
>> included in the kernel tree to quickly see values; that's what I use for
>> testing.
>
> Okay. So what are expected values for these temperatures? It's going to
> be pretty much impossible to say what the correct value is on a given
> board at any time, but perhaps a "test" could consist of checking that
> all temperatures are within a reasonable range.

On Jetson TK1, at least without the CL-DVFS series, I get around 32 
Celsius. If you want to account for cpu/gpufreq then I guess something 
like 25-70 would be a good range.

> Thierry

Mikko