Subject: [PATCH v6 0/4] Tegra124 soctherm driver

From: [email-masked] (Mikko Perttunen)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:09:08 +0300

On 09/26/2014 03:05 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 03:00:11PM +0300, Mikko Perttunen wrote:
>> On 09/26/2014 02:48 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
>>> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 01:22:52PM +0300, Mikko Perttunen wrote:
>>>> On 09/26/2014 01:19 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
>>>>> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 12:43:09PM +0300, Mikko Perttunen wrote:
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> this series adds support for the thermal monitoring features of the
>>>>>> soctherm unit on the Tegra124 SoC.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The branch is also available in my github repo,
>>>>>>    git://github.com/cyndis/linux.git soctherm-v6
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>> Mikko
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Mikko Perttunen (4):
>>>>>>    of: Add bindings for nvidia,tegra124-soctherm
>>>>>>    ARM: tegra: Add soctherm and thermal zones to Tegra124 device tree
>>>>>>    ARM: tegra: Add thermal trip points for Jetson TK1
>>>>>>    thermal: Add Tegra SOCTHERM thermal management driver
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   .../devicetree/bindings/thermal/tegra-soctherm.txt |  53 +++
>>>>>>   arch/arm/boot/dts/tegra124-jetson-tk1.dts          |  44 ++
>>>>>>   arch/arm/boot/dts/tegra124.dtsi                    |  47 ++
>>>>>>   drivers/thermal/Kconfig                            |  10 +
>>>>>>   drivers/thermal/Makefile                           |   1 +
>>>>>>   drivers/thermal/tegra_soctherm.c                   | 471 +++++++++++++++++++++
>>>>>>   include/dt-bindings/thermal/tegra124-soctherm.h    |  13 +
>>>>>>   7 files changed, 639 insertions(+)
>>>>>>   create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/thermal/tegra-soctherm.txt
>>>>>>   create mode 100644 drivers/thermal/tegra_soctherm.c
>>>>>>   create mode 100644 include/dt-bindings/thermal/tegra124-soctherm.h
>>>>>
>>>>> One thing that I've wanted to start doing for a while now is request
>>>>> patch submissions like this to come accompanied with a way on how to
>>>>> test them. Ideally this would be in a scripted way that can test for
>>>>> success programatically, but it doesn't necessarily have to be if it
>>>>> turns out too difficult or impractical to do.
>>>>
>>>> Indeed, that would be very useful.
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The goal is to eventually come up with a test suite that can run the
>>>>> majority of test cases automatically to make it easy to test for any
>>>>> regressions. And even if tests can't be run automatically it'd still
>>>>> be an advantage to have them all collected in some repository, since
>>>>> it saves a lot of typing and time to run tests, and it will give us
>>>>> a standard set of tests that everybody can verify changes against.
>>>>>
>>>>> I realize that it's somewhat unfair to start requesting this from you
>>>>> now, but we've got to start somewhere. Could you give a short summary
>>>>> of how you test this? What are the interfaces that the kernel exposes
>>>>> for these thermal drivers?
>>>>
>>>> You need to enable the driver in Device Drivers -> Generic Thermal sysfs
>>>> driver -> Tegra SOCTHERM thermal management. Then, you should see
>>>> directories appear in /sys/class/thermal. You can also use the `tmon' tool
>>>> included in the kernel tree to quickly see values; that's what I use for
>>>> testing.
>>>
>>> Okay. So what are expected values for these temperatures? It's going to
>>> be pretty much impossible to say what the correct value is on a given
>>> board at any time, but perhaps a "test" could consist of checking that
>>> all temperatures are within a reasonable range.
>>
>> On Jetson TK1, at least without the CL-DVFS series, I get around 32 Celsius.
>> If you want to account for cpu/gpufreq then I guess something like 25-70
>> would be a good range.
>
> Okay, thanks. Can you remind me how this relates to the thermal tripping
> support?
>
> Thierry
>

I'm not sure what you mean, but hardware thermal trips are not currently 
supported (except THERMTRIP, the "master" shutdown thermal trip, which 
is supported if this series is combined with the other series I have 
posted. THERMTRIP defaults to shutdown at 105 Celsius.)

Mikko