Subject: [linux-sunxi] Re: [PATCH 4/4] simplefb: add clock handling code

From: [email-masked] (Hans de Goede)
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 13:16:32 +0200

Hi,

On 10/02/2014 05:49 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 10/02/2014 12:42 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> ...
>> The whole reason why we want to use simplefb is not just to get things
>> running until HW specific driver is in place, but also to have early console
>> output (to help debugging boot problems on devices without a serial console),
>> in a world where most video drivers are build as loadable modules, so we
>> won't have video output until quite late into the boot process.
> 
> That's a very different use-case than what was originally envisaged.

I realize that, it is always amazing what sort of uses code finds once it is
out there in the wild :)

> 
> ...
>> You indicate that you don't have the time for this discussion, and I note that
>> there is no MAINTAINERS entry for drivers/video/fbdev/simplefb.c . So how about
>> the following, I pick up drivers/video/fbdev/simplefb.c maintainership, adding
>> MAINTAINERS entry for it with my name in it. Then as the maintainer it will be
>> my responsibility (and in my own benefit) to stop this from growing into
>> a monster ?
> 
> I have no issue with you being the maintainer.

Great, I'll send a patch for MAINTAINERS for this then.

> I would suggest you track down whoever it was that was involved in the original discussion and objected to simplefb performing resource management, and get their explicit ack for the addition of clocks/regulators/... to it. But, that's just a suggestion.

I appreciate the suggestion, but various people involved have been discussing this
for over a month now. All arguments in favor and against have been made many times
now, and I doubt that those people (in sofar as they are not already involved in
the discussion) will have anything new to add.

IMHO we've come at a point here where a decision needs to be made how to deal with
this, because any decision, is better then no decision (and thus no progress) at all.

I fully commit myself to actively maintain simplefb, and deal with any fallout, for
the foreseeable future.

Regards,

Hans