Subject: [RFT v3 06/14] regulator: max77802: Remove support for board files

From: [email-masked] (Javier Martinez Canillas)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:21:00 +0100

Hello Krzysztof,

On 10/30/2014 01:10 PM, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>> 
>> I may be missing something but I don't understand why a compatible string
>> for the regulators sub-node is needed. Isn't enough to just fill the
>> .regulators_node field in the struct regulator_desc? e.g:
>> 
>>     .regulators_node = of_match_ptr("regulators") for max77802
>>     .regulators_node = of_match_ptr("voltage-regulators") for max77686
>> 
>> AFAIU this should be enough for the core to extract the init_data and will
>> make your change much more simpler and you can drop patches 1-3 and 13-14.
>> 
>> Or maybe I misread the regulator_of_get_init_data() function?
> 
> The regulator_of_get_init_data() searches from dev->of_node or its child
> node.
> 
> But dev->of_node is NULL.
> 
> That's why of_compatible is needed.

Yes but regulator_register() does dev = config->dev and config->dev is set
to config.dev = iodev->dev in the driver probe function which is the
pdev->dev.parent (the PMIC struct device) that has an associated of_node.

So, regulator_of_get_init_data() will call of_get_child_by_name() passing
the PMIC of_node and the sub-node name that contains the regulators. That
is, whatever was set in desc->regulators_node and that should be enough.

Best regards,
Javier