Subject: M_CAN message RAM initialization AppNote - was: Re: [PATCH V3 3/3] can: m_can: workaround for transmit data less than 4 bytes

From: [email-masked] (Oliver Hartkopp)
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:15:10 +0100

Hi all,

just to close this application note relevant point ...

I got an answer from Florian Hartwich (Mr. CAN) from Bosch regarding the bit 
error detection found by Dong Aisheng.

The relevant interrupts IR.BEU or IR.BEC monitor the message RAM:

Bit 21 BEU: Bit Error Uncorrected
Message RAM bit error detected, uncorrected. Controlled by input signal 
m_can_aeim_berr[1] generated by an optional external parity / ECC logic 
attached to the Message RAM. An uncorrected Message RAM bit error sets 
CCCR.INIT to ?1?. This is done to avoid transmission of corrupted data.

0= No bit error detected when reading from Message RAM
1= Bit error detected, uncorrected (e.g. parity logic)

Bit 20 BEC: Bit Error Corrected
Message RAM bit error detected and corrected. Controlled by input signal 
m_can_aeim_berr[0] generated by an optional external parity / ECC logic 
attached to the Message RAM.

0= No bit error detected when reading from Message RAM
1= Bit error detected and corrected (e.g. ECC)

---

The Message RAM is usually equipped with a parity or ECC functionality.
But RAM cells suffer a hardware reset and can therefore hold arbitrary content 
at startup - including parity and/or ECC bits.

So when you write only the CAN ID and the first four bytes the last four bytes 
remain untouched. Then the M_CAN starts to read in 32bit words from the start 
of the Tx Message element. So it is very likely to trigger the message RAM 
error when reading the uninitialized 32bit word from the last four bytes.

Finally it turns out that an initial writing (with any kind of data) to the 
entire message RAM is mandatory to create valid parity/ECC checksums.

That's it.

Regards,
Oliver