Subject: [PATCH v4 2/3] i2c: iproc: Add Broadcom iProc I2C Driver

From: [email-masked] (Ray Jui)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 16:30:33 -0800

On 1/17/2015 2:40 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 01:26:41PM -0800, Ray Jui wrote:
>> 	time_left = wait_for_completion_timeout(&iproc_i2c->done, time_left);
>>
>> 	/* disable all interrupts */
>> 	writel(0, iproc_i2c->base + IE_OFFSET);
>>
>> 	if (!time_left && !atomic_read(&iproc_i2c->transfer_is_successful)) {
> 
> Why are you using atomic_read() here?
> 
transfer_is_successful 1) will be reset to 0 in this function (before
kick start the I2C transfer), 2) will be set to 1 in the ISR (to signal
completion of the I2C transfer), and 3) will be checked in this function
here. I thought that means I should declare it volatile, because it can
be modified in both the process context and interrupt context (and I use
atomic because I remember Linux checkpatch warns against using volatile)?