Subject: 答复: [PATCHv4] arm64: dmi: Add SMBIOS/DMI support

From: [email-masked] (Jon Masters)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 22:30:26 -0500

On 01/18/2015 08:27 PM, liyi 00215672 wrote:
> Hi Jon, Leif,
> 
> 	I am reviving with phoenix.liyi at huawei.com :)
> 
> 	Agreed with Leif, The DMI/SMBIOS data are available for user space not for kernel level on x86, which means if DMI has some bad descriptions, it should not affect the kernel boot normally.
> 
> 	So ARM platform will do the same thing, DMI data just as a reference for system configuration, and don't depend them to boot the sytem. :)
> 
> 	Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to another visit to Shenzen soon :)

I'm afraid I think we'll need to use the socket information in DMI to
populate topology in the short term or for a vendor kernel or two. It's
important that certain tooling accurately account the number of sockets
present. It's awesome that ARM is going multi-socket. It's less awesome
to see the magic words "IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED". That always means
"abandon all hope ye who enter here". It'll need fixing in the form of a
rigidly defined standard.

I've just spent the weekend going through a variety of vendor tables and
manually validating/correcting them/harassing people to fix various ones
or convert to SMBIOS3. Depending upon how well this goes, we might be in
a position to have usable data for now. With a few sanity checks, we can
avoid using the data if it is incorrect. And in the medium term, we will
work on a better solution such as adding topology description to ACPI
tables. Then, we'll come back to this thread to see what is good
upstream, once we've some informed data about what is a practical solution.

Jon.