Subject: [PATCH v8 2/3] i2c: iproc: Add Broadcom iProc I2C Driver

From: [email-masked] (Ray Jui)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 10:10:28 -0800

On 2/8/2015 3:03 AM, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> 
>>> Is it really a HW limitation? Could the driver later be extended to
>>> continue filling the FIFO if a certain threshold is reached?
>>>
>>
>> Will return -EOPNOTSUPP. This really depends on whether or not we expect
>> one sequence of START + SLV ADDR + DATA + STOP per i2c message. I can
>> later extend the driver to refill/re-drain the FIFO for data size >= 64
>> bytes, if one sequence of SATRT...STOP per message is not a requirement.
> 
> It is important to have the terminology clear here: One transfer can
> consist of multiple messages. The transfer uses START/STOP at the
> beginning/end, the messages within the transfer only REPEATED_START.
> 
Okay. Let me check with our ASIC engineer to see if there's a way to get
the driver extended to support the case when data size is larger than
the FIFO size. From my understanding based on the data sheet I have, I
don't think that can be done with this controller. But if the ASIC
engineers tells me the opposite, I'll add it as a separate patch later.

Thanks,

Ray