Subject: [PATCH v6 0/7] PCI: get DMA configuration from parent device

From: [email-masked] (Murali Karicheri)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:54:56 -0500

On 02/06/2015 01:36 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
> On 02/06/2015 12:53 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Murali Karicheri<[email-masked]>
>> wrote:
>>> On 02/06/2015 10:15 AM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 09:52:52PM +0000, Murali Karicheri wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> This patch add an important capability to PCI driver on Keystone. I
>>>>> hope
>>>>> to
>>>>> have this merged to the upstream branch so that it is available for
>>>>> v3.20.
>>>>
>>>> It's very late for 3.20 and the code hasn't been in linux-next at all
>>>> (but it's not me who's merging this code), unless you can squeeze it in
>>>> as a bug-fix.
>>>
>>> This is in fact a bug fix as PCI on Keystone is broken without this.
>>
>> Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that this was so urgent. I guess I read
>> "this adds an important capability" in the cover letter and concluded
>> that it was new functionality.
> Bjorn,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> Let me give you some context on this without which my explanation won't
> be complete. For using PCI driver on Keystone, I had submitted patches
> related to machine and DTS to the arm mailing list to enable the driver
> on Keystone. Subsequenty one of the patch from my series was Nack-ed and
> I was asked to implememented in a different way and started this series.
> You can refer to the discussion of this at
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/2024591
>
> The PCI driver enablement on Keystone is still a working in progress and
> I am trying to get it fully functional on the upstream. Another missing
> piece is the SerDes phy driver patch. We have started working on the
> other part (SerDes phy driver) already as the initial one was not
> accepted. So it is fine if we are too late for the v3.20 merge window to
> merge this series and this can be applied to the next branch for v3.21.
>
>>
>> Anyway, if it's broken, presumably PCI on Keystone *did* work at one
>> point. Can you identify the commit that broke it and requires these
>> fixes, so we can figure out how far the fixes need to be backported?
>>
>
> I am trying to get this driver enabled on Keystone by adding the missing
> pieces as described above. So I guess we don't have to back port
> anything here.
>
>> If I merge it, I would like to get into my for-linus branch and get a
>> little time in -next before asking Linus to pull it. The merge window
>> is a little wrinkle there -- I don't like to add new things to the mix
>> during the window. But if it's an important fix we can still get it
>> in before the final v3.20.
>
> Please apply this to next branch for v3.21. It currently apply cleanly
> to v3.19-rc7. If you want me rebase to another branch, let me know I can
> apply and send you an updated patch.
>
Bjorn, Arnd,

I am assuming, Bjorn is going to merge this to his next branch for 
v3.21. If not, it might have to be merged through the arm soc? There are 
a couple of Tested-by and Acked-by received after v7. Do you want me to 
post v8 with these updated in the patches?

Murali

> Thanks
> Murali
>> Bjorn

-- 
Murali Karicheri
Linux Kernel, Texas Instruments