Subject: [PATCH] compat: Fix endian issue in union sigval

From: [email-masked] (Chris Metcalf)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 23:05:15 -0500

On 2/14/2015 6:22 AM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> 1. user populates sival_int compat_sigevent and invokes
>     compat_sys_mq_notify()
> 2. kernel get_compat_sigevent() copies compat_sigevent into the native
>     sigevent. compat and native sival_int are the same, no problem so
>     far. The other half of 64-bit sival_ptr is zeroed by a memset in this
>     function (this other half can be top or bottom, depending on
>     endianness)
> 3. signal is about to be delivered to user via arch code. The
>     compat_ptr(from->si_ptr) conversion always takes the least
>     significant part of the native si_ptr. On big endian 64-bit, this is
>     zero because get_compat_sigevent() populated the top part of si_ptr
>     with si_int.

Thanks, that makes sense.  I was missing the fact that the conversion
issue was actually around the in-kernel 64-bit version of the structure.
Using si_int consistently does seem like it should do the right thing;
I'll post a patch for tilegx32 big-endian to do the right thing here.

-- 
Chris Metcalf, EZChip Semiconductor
http://www.ezchip.com