Subject: [RFC PATCH v3 2/2] clk: exynos5420: Make sure MDMA0 clock is enabled during suspend

From: [email-masked] (Sylwester Nawrocki)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 13:03:26 +0200

Hello,

On 31/03/15 22:00, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> On 03/31/2015 04:38 PM, Abhilash Kesavan wrote:
>> javier.martinez at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately I don't fully understand why this clock needs to be
>>> enabled. It would be good if someone at Samsung can explain in
>>> more detail what the real problem really is.
>>>
>>
>> I had a look at this some more today. The problem actually occurs when the
>> mdma0 clock's parent - aclk266_g2d gets disabled. The run-time pm support
>> in the dma driver disables mdma0 and in turn aclk266_g2d which causes the
>> issue.
>> From the User Manual, it appears that aclk266_g2d should be gated only when
>> certain bits in the clock gating status register are 0. I cannot say for
>> certain, but our gating the aclk266_g2d clock without the CG_STATUS bits
>> being 0 could be a cause of the suspend failure.
>>
> 
> Thanks a lot for the explanation. I see the NOTE at the bottom of section
> 7.9.1.159 CLK_GATE_BUS_TOP that mentions that. I'll add this information
> to the commit message when posting as a proper patch instead of a RFC.
> 
> I confirmed that changing the patch to prevent "aclk266_g2d" to be gated
> instead of "mdm0" also makes the system to resume correctly from suspend
> so I'll change that on the patch as well.
> 
> I see that many of the Exynos5420 clocks (including "aclk266_g2d") use the
> CLK_IGNORE_UNUSED flag but AFAIU it only prevents the common clock framework
> to disable the clocks on init but doesn't prevent the clocks to be disabled
> if all the clock childs are gated so the parent is gated as well.
> 
>> As the CG_STATUS bits are not being checked anywhere in the kernel I think
>> aclk266_g2d (and others in GATE_BUS_TOP) should not be gated. I am OK with
> 
> For now I'll just add "aclk266_g2d" but later if needed all the GATE_BUS_TOP
> clocks (and others) that should only be gated when CG_STATUS is 0 can be
> added. My patch iterates over a list of clocks to be kept during suspend even
> when there is only one for now so adding more later if needed will be trivial.

It's not clear what subsystems affect state of the CG_STATUSx registers, it
would be good if we could get more information on that. They are in the PMU
block and are related to LPI (Low Power Interface handshaking), but what
subsystems/peripheral blocks exactly are associated with them it's not clear
from the documentation.

I think it's essential to understand what triggers changes in CG_STATUSx
registers, before we start checking their value in the clock driver.

Also it might be that there are indeed some clocks which must stay enabled
over suspend/resume cycle, then the approach with enabling/disabling clocks
in the clock driver might not be such a hack as it looks at first sight.

> Or do you think that I should add all the GATE_BUS_TOP clocks now?

No, please don't do that. That includes many important clocks and we should
be certain what we are doing. I don't think it is expected to touch those
clocks in that way, it would likely cause more issues.

-- 
Thanks
Sylwester