Subject: [PATCH 1/2] irqchip/gicv3-its: Support share device ID

From: [email-masked] (Marc Zyngier)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 11:04:00 +0100

On 16/04/15 03:57, Minghuan.Lian at freescale.com wrote:
> Hi Marc,
> 
> Please see my comments inline
> 
>> -----Original Message----- From: Marc Zyngier 
>> [mailto:marc.zyngier at arm.com] Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:37
>>  AM To: Lian Minghuan-B31939 Cc: linux-pci at vger.kernel.org; Arnd 
>> Bergmann; Hu Mingkai-B21284; Zang Roy-R61911; Yoder Stuart-B08248;
>>  Bjorn Helgaas; Wood Scott-B07421; linux- 
>> arm-kernel at lists.infradead.org; Jason Cooper; Thomas Gleixner 
>> Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] irqchip/gicv3-its: Support share device 
>> ID
>> 
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:49:23 +0800 Minghuan Lian 
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>>> SMMU of some platforms can only isolate limited device ID. This 
>>> may require that all PCI devices share the same ITS device with 
>>> the fixed device ID. The patch adds function 
>>> arch_msi_share_devid_update used for these platforms to update 
>>> the fixed device ID and maximum MSI interrupts number.
>>> 
>>> Signed-off-by: Minghuan Lian <[email-masked]> --- 
>>> drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its.c | 11 +++++++++++ 1 file changed,
>>> 11 insertions(+)
>>> 
>>> diff --git a/drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its.c 
>>> b/drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its.c index d0374a6..be78d0a 100644 
>>> --- a/drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its.c +++ 
>>> b/drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its.c @@ -1169,6 +1169,15 @@ static
>>>  int its_get_pci_alias(struct pci_dev *pdev,
>> u16 alias, void *data)
>>> return 0; }
>>> 
>>> +void __weak +arch_msi_share_devid_update(struct pci_dev *pdev, 
>>> u32 *dev_id, u32 +*nvesc) { +	/* +	 * use PCI_DEVID NOT share 
>>> device ID as default +	 * so nothing need to do +	 */ +} +
>> 
>> NAK. On top of being ugly as sin, this breaks any form of 
>> multiplatform support. No way anything like this is going in. Guys,
>> you really should know better.
>> 
> [Minghuan]  The current ITS MSI will create an individual ITS device 
> for each PCIe device, and use PCI_DEVID as ITS dev_id However, out 
> platform only supports  ITS dev_id 0 -63.  A normal PCIe DEVID of 
> 0000:01:00.0 is 256 bigger than 63. Besides, because of the limited 
> dev_id number, all the PCIe device will share the same ITS dev. Our 
> platform provides a hardware module LUT to map PCI DEVID to ITS 
> dev_id.  So, when creating ITS device, we need to update dev_id and 
> the nvesc. I may change pci_for_each_dma_alias to add a new flag to 
> use alias_bus and alias_devfn.

Yes, that's where you should take care of this hack.

> But I also need to update nvesc which should contains all the PCI 
> device MSI/MSIX nvesc and PCIe PME, aerdrv interrupts. The main 
> difference is that we need a ITS device to service multiple PCIe 
> devices. Could you give me some suggestions how to implement this 
> requirement.

It you take the time to read the code in its_msi_prepare(), you'll
quickly notice that we already handle aliasing of multiple PCI devices
to a single DeviceID. Once you have the aliasing taken care of in
pci_for_each_dma_alias, the ITS code will automatically adjust the
number of vectors (using its_get_pci_alias as a callback from
pci_for_each_dma_alias).

>>> static int its_msi_prepare(struct irq_domain *domain, struct 
>>> device *dev, int nvec, msi_alloc_info_t *info)  { @@ -1185,6
>> +1194,8 @@
>>> static int its_msi_prepare(struct irq_domain *domain, struct 
>>> device *dev, dev_alias.count = nvec;
>>> 
>>> pci_for_each_dma_alias(pdev, its_get_pci_alias, &dev_alias); + 
>>> arch_msi_share_devid_update(pdev, &dev_alias.dev_id, 
>>> +&dev_alias.count); +
>> 
>> See the function above? That's where the aliasing should be taken 
>> care of.
>> 
> [Minghuan] The alias will use dma_alias_devfn, but it does not 
> contains alias_bus. I need to translate PCI_DEVID to a fixed ID.

Then add another flag to deal with that. Your hardware is "creative"
(some might even argue it is broken), so deal with the creativity as a
quirk, which has no business in the ITS driver (or any other driver).

Thanks,

	M.
-- 
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny...