Subject: [PATCH v3 01/18] platform: delay OF device-driver matches until late_initcall

From: [email-masked] (Grygorii Strashko)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 20:06:31 +0300

On 08/07/2015 10:11 AM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On 6 August 2015 at 22:19, Rob Herring <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Delay matches of platform devices with OF nodes until late_initcall,
>>> when we are sure that all built-in drivers have been registered already.
>>> This is needed to prevent deferred probes because of some drivers not
>>> having registered yet.
>>>
>>> The reason why only platform devices are delayed is that some other
>>> devices are expected to be probed earlier than late_initcall, for
>>> example, the system PNP driver needs to probe its devices in
>>> fs_initcall.
>>>
>>> Additionally, only platform devices with OF nodes are delayed because
>>> some machines may depend on oter platform devices being registered at
>>> specific times.
>>
>> How do we know that these probes occur before the unused clocks and
>> regulators are turned off? Just getting lucky (as is deferred probe)?
>> Can we do this one level earlier so we have a level left to do things
>> after probe.
> 
> Those are already late_initcall_sync so I guess we're fine.

I wouldn't be so sure :(
FYI:
http://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel/commit/763d643bbfc0f445c6685c541fcae3c370e4314a

-- 
regards,
-grygorii