Subject: [PATCH v3 01/18] platform: delay OF device-driver matches until late_initcall

From: [email-masked] (Grygorii Strashko)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:09:56 +0300

Hi Tomeu,

On 08/09/2015 04:03 PM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On 7 August 2015 at 19:06, Grygorii Strashko <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 08/07/2015 10:11 AM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>> On 6 August 2015 at 22:19, Rob Herring <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>> Delay matches of platform devices with OF nodes until late_initcall,
>>>>> when we are sure that all built-in drivers have been registered already.
>>>>> This is needed to prevent deferred probes because of some drivers not
>>>>> having registered yet.
>>>>>
>>>>> The reason why only platform devices are delayed is that some other
>>>>> devices are expected to be probed earlier than late_initcall, for
>>>>> example, the system PNP driver needs to probe its devices in
>>>>> fs_initcall.
>>>>>
>>>>> Additionally, only platform devices with OF nodes are delayed because
>>>>> some machines may depend on oter platform devices being registered at
>>>>> specific times.
>>>>
>>>> How do we know that these probes occur before the unused clocks and
>>>> regulators are turned off? Just getting lucky (as is deferred probe)?
>>>> Can we do this one level earlier so we have a level left to do things
>>>> after probe.
>>>
>>> Those are already late_initcall_sync so I guess we're fine.
>>
>> I wouldn't be so sure :(
>> FYI:
>> http://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel/commit/763d643bbfc0f445c6685c541fcae3c370e4314a

I'm very sorry for delayed reply.

First of all, I'd like to say that proposition to move drivers probing/matching 
one layer early (device_initcall_sync) is reasonable 
(and I've already mentioned the same here https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/6/3/979).

> 
> If I understand the situation correctly, this is one more instance of
> starting to do some work at some point and hoping that something else
> that started before has already finished happening. If that's the
> case, how does this series make that worst?

You going to increase pressure on the late boot stages without taking
into account that there could be platforms which perfectly works
just using init_calls. And the fact that drivers will be not probed at
expected time could be very surprising for them.

Or, there should be an option to disable this functionality.

> 
> During this development I have found many hacks intended to put some
> order, even if not enough care was taken to make sure that the order
> was guaranteed. In general I would recommend for moving code into
> proper drivers and have them to defer the probe of their devices if
> some dependency isn't fulfilled at that moment.

Unfortunately, not everything can be moved to drivers or it could be
just unreasonable. 

> 
> Once that's done and we have a safe and reliable boot, we can avoid
> those deferred probes by fulfilling the dependency on-demand as this
> series shows.
> 
> There was some recent thread about how the disabling of unused clocks
> and regulators isn't really safe because after late_initcall_sync more
> drivers can be registered from modules. Furthermore, there's async
> device probes.

Clocks and regulators are safe, problems may happen first of all with 
platform's specific initcalls.

Just take a look how many late_initcalls defined now in Kernel
(grep -w -RI  "late_initcall" ./*) and everything which belongs
to  /arch/* will be called before your probe_delayed_matches_initcall().
The sequence of late_initcalls in /drivers/* is defined by
/drivers/Makefile. 

#
./arch/um/kernel/process.c:late_initcall(make_proc_sysemu);
./arch/um/drivers/umcast_kern.c:late_initcall(register_umcast);
./arch/um/drivers/stdio_console.c:late_initcall(stdio_init);
./arch/um/drivers/pcap_kern.c:late_initcall(register_pcap);
./arch/um/drivers/ssl.c:late_initcall(ssl_init);
./arch/um/drivers/slip_kern.c:late_initcall(register_slip);
./arch/um/drivers/vde_kern.c:late_initcall(register_vde);
./arch/um/drivers/mconsole_kern.c:late_initcall(mc_add_console);
./arch/um/drivers/ubd_kern.c:late_initcall(ubd_init);
./arch/um/drivers/slirp_kern.c:late_initcall(register_slirp);
./arch/um/drivers/daemon_kern.c:late_initcall(register_daemon);
./arch/um/os-Linux/drivers/tuntap_kern.c:late_initcall(register_tuntap);
./arch/um/os-Linux/drivers/ethertap_kern.c:late_initcall(register_ethertap);
./arch/arm/kernel/pj4-cp0.c:late_initcall(pj4_cp0_init);
./arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:late_initcall(init_machine_late);
./arch/arm/kernel/xscale-cp0.c:late_initcall(xscale_cp0_init);
./arch/arm/kernel/swp_emulate.c:late_initcall(swp_emulation_init);
./arch/arm/kernel/thumbee.c:late_initcall(thumbee_init);
./arch/arm/kernel/traps.c:late_initcall(arm_mrc_hook_init);
./arch/arm/mach-mmp/pm-pxa910.c:late_initcall(pxa910_pm_init);
./arch/arm/mach-mmp/pm-mmp2.c:late_initcall(mmp2_pm_init);
./arch/arm/common/bL_switcher.c:late_initcall(bL_switcher_init);
./arch/arm/mach-pxa/sharpsl_pm.c:late_initcall(sharpsl_pm_init);
./arch/arm/kvm/coproc_a15.c:late_initcall(coproc_a15_init);
./arch/arm/kvm/coproc_a7.c:late_initcall(coproc_a7_init);
./arch/arm/mach-omap1/clock.c:late_initcall(clk_disable_unused);
./arch/arm/mach-omap1/clock.c:late_initcall(omap_clk_enable_autoidle_all);
./arch/arm/mach-omap1/clock.c:late_initcall(clk_debugfs_init);
./arch/arm/xen/enlighten.c:late_initcall(xen_pm_init);
./arch/arm/probes/kprobes/test-core.c:late_initcall(run_all_tests);
./arch/arm/mach-mvebu/pm-board.c:late_initcall(mvebu_armada_xp_gp_pm_init);
./arch/unicore32/kernel/fpu-ucf64.c:late_initcall(ucf64_init);
./arch/avr32/mm/tlb.c:late_initcall(proctlb_init);
./arch/sh/kernel/cpu/sh4a/smp-shx3.c:late_initcall(register_shx3_cpu_notifier);
./arch/sh/kernel/cpu/shmobile/pm.c:late_initcall(sh_pm_init);
./arch/sh/boards/mach-hp6xx/pm.c:late_initcall(hp6x0_pm_init);
./arch/xtensa/platforms/iss/console.c:late_initcall(rs_init);
./arch/frv/kernel/setup.c:late_initcall(setup_arch_serial);
./arch/powerpc/kernel/machine_kexec.c:late_initcall(kexec_setup);
./arch/powerpc/kernel/machine_kexec_64.c:late_initcall(export_htab_values);
./arch/powerpc/kernel/setup-common.c:late_initcall(check_cache_coherency);
./arch/powerpc/kernel/iommu.c:late_initcall(fail_iommu_debugfs);
./arch/powerpc/lib/code-patching.c:late_initcall(test_code_patching);
./arch/powerpc/lib/feature-fixups.c:late_initcall(test_feature_fixups);
./arch/powerpc/sysdev/ppc4xx_cpm.c:late_initcall(cpm_init);
./arch/powerpc/sysdev/dart_iommu.c:late_initcall(iommu_init_late_dart);
./arch/powerpc/sysdev/msi_bitmap.c:late_initcall(msi_bitmap_selftest);
./arch/tile/kernel/hardwall.c:late_initcall(dev_hardwall_init);
./arch/tile/kernel/smpboot.c:late_initcall(reset_init_affinity);
./arch/arm64/kernel/fpsimd.c:late_initcall(fpsimd_init);
./arch/arm64/kernel/armv8_deprecated.c:late_initcall(armv8_deprecated_init);
./arch/arm64/kvm/sys_regs_generic_v8.c:late_initcall(sys_reg_genericv8_init);
./arch/m68k/kernel/early_printk.c:late_initcall(unregister_early_console);
./arch/sparc/kernel/leon_pmc.c:late_initcall(leon_pmc_install);
./arch/sparc/kernel/sstate.c:late_initcall(sstate_running);
./arch/metag/kernel/setup.c:late_initcall(init_machine_late);
./arch/x86/kernel/tboot.c:late_initcall(tboot_late_init);
./arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce-severity.c:late_initcall(severities_debugfs_init);
./arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce_amd.c:late_initcall(threshold_init_device);
./arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce.c:late_initcall(mcheck_debugfs_init);
./arch/x86/kernel/mpparse.c:late_initcall(update_mp_table);
./arch/x86/kernel/apic/x2apic_uv_x.c:late_initcall(uv_init_heartbeat);
./arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:late_initcall(lapic_insert_resource);
./arch/x86/kernel/apic/vector.c:late_initcall(print_ICs);
./arch/x86/kernel/apic/probe_32.c:late_initcall(print_ipi_mode);
./arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.c:late_initcall(hpet_insert_resource);
./arch/x86/crypto/aesni-intel_glue.c:late_initcall(aesni_init);
./arch/x86/mm/tlb.c:late_initcall(create_tlb_single_page_flush_ceiling);
./arch/x86/mm/pat.c:late_initcall(pat_memtype_list_init);
./arch/x86/platform/intel-mid/device_libs/platform_gpio_keys.c:late_initcall(pb_keys_init);
./arch/x86/pci/mmconfig-shared.c:late_initcall(pci_mmcfg_late_insert_resources);
./arch/arc/kernel/setup.c:late_initcall(init_late_machine);
./arch/mips/alchemy/devboards/pm.c:late_initcall(pm_init);
./arch/mips/loongson64/common/mem.c:late_initcall(find_vga_mem_init);
./arch/mips/txx9/generic/setup_tx4927.c:late_initcall(tx4927_late_init);
./arch/mips/txx9/generic/setup_tx4939.c:late_initcall(tx4939_late_init);
./arch/mips/txx9/generic/setup_tx4938.c:late_initcall(tx4938_late_init);
./arch/mips/cavium-octeon/setup.c:late_initcall(octeon_no_pci_release);
./arch/mips/cavium-octeon/flash_setup.c:late_initcall(octeon_flash_init);
./arch/mips/cavium-octeon/smp.c:late_initcall(register_cavium_notifier);
./arch/mips/mti-malta/malta-pm.c:late_initcall(malta_pm_setup);
./arch/mips/jz4740/pm.c:late_initcall(jz4740_pm_init);
./arch/mips/sgi-ip27/ip27-timer.c:late_initcall(sgi_ip27_rtc_devinit);
./arch/blackfin/kernel/cplbinfo.c:late_initcall(cplbinfo_init);
./arch/blackfin/kernel/bfin_dma.c:late_initcall(proc_dma_init);
./arch/blackfin/kernel/nmi.c:late_initcall(init_nmi_wdt_syscore);
./arch/blackfin/mach-bf609/pm.c:late_initcall(bf609_init_pm);
./arch/blackfin/mm/sram-alloc.c:late_initcall(sram_proc_init);
./arch/blackfin/mm/isram-driver.c:late_initcall(isram_test_init);
./block/blk-core.c:late_initcall(fail_make_request_debugfs);
./block/blk-timeout.c:late_initcall(fail_io_timeout_debugfs);
./crypto/async_tx/raid6test.c:late_initcall(raid6_test);
./drivers/clk/clk.c:late_initcall(clk_debug_init);
./drivers/mtd/ubi/build.c:late_initcall(ubi_init);
./drivers/mtd/devices/block2mtd.c:late_initcall(block2mtd_init);
./drivers/devfreq/exynos/exynos5_bus.c:late_initcall(exynos5_busfreq_int_init);
./drivers/devfreq/exynos/exynos4_bus.c:late_initcall(exynos4_busfreq_init);
./drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/omap_drv.c:late_initcall(omap_drm_init);
./drivers/gpu/drm/gma500/psb_drv.c:late_initcall(psb_init);
./drivers/video/logo/logo.c:late_initcall(fb_logo_late_init);
./drivers/of/fdt.c:late_initcall(of_fdt_raw_init);
./drivers/base/dd.c:late_initcall(deferred_probe_initcall);
./drivers/base/power/trace.c:late_initcall(late_resume_init);
./drivers/base/power/domain.c:late_initcall(genpd_poweroff_unused);
./drivers/base/power/domain.c:late_initcall(pm_genpd_debug_init);
./drivers/mfd/wl1273-core.c:late_initcall(wl1273_core_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.c:late_initcall(centrino_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/amd_freq_sensitivity.c:late_initcall(amd_freq_sensitivity_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/sfi-cpufreq.c:late_initcall(sfi_cpufreq_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/powernow-k8.c:late_initcall(powernowk8_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.c:late_initcall(acpi_cpufreq_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/ia64-acpi-cpufreq.c:late_initcall(acpi_cpufreq_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/p4-clockmod.c:late_initcall(cpufreq_p4_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/pcc-cpufreq.c:late_initcall(pcc_cpufreq_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/powernow-k7.c:late_initcall(powernow_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/longhaul.c:late_initcall(longhaul_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/s3c24xx-cpufreq-debugfs.c:late_initcall(s3c_freq_debugfs_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/at32ap-cpufreq.c:late_initcall(at32_cpufreq_init);
./drivers/cpufreq/s3c24xx-cpufreq.c:late_initcall(s3c_cpufreq_initcall);
./drivers/sh/clk/core.c:late_initcall(clk_late_init);
./drivers/sh/intc/userimask.c:late_initcall(userimask_sysdev_init);
./drivers/net/netconsole.c:late_initcall(init_netconsole);
./drivers/net/vxlan.c:late_initcall(vxlan_init_module);
./drivers/net/geneve.c:late_initcall(geneve_init_module);
./drivers/net/ethernet/ti/davinci_emac.c:late_initcall(davinci_emac_init);
./drivers/net/ethernet/ti/cpsw.c:late_initcall(cpsw_init);
./drivers/net/rionet.c:late_initcall(rionet_init);
./drivers/gpio/gpio-tegra.c:late_initcall(tegra_gpio_debuginit);
./drivers/block/hd.c:late_initcall(hd_init);
./drivers/thermal/db8500_cpufreq_cooling.c:late_initcall(db8500_cpufreq_cooling_init);
./drivers/staging/android/sync_debug.c:late_initcall(sync_debugfs_init);
./drivers/staging/wilc1000/linux_wlan.c:late_initcall(init_wilc_driver);
./drivers/iommu/dmar.c:late_initcall(dmar_free_unused_resources);
./drivers/watchdog/ie6xx_wdt.c:late_initcall(ie6xx_wdt_init);
./drivers/watchdog/intel_scu_watchdog.c:late_initcall(intel_scu_watchdog_init);
./drivers/tty/serial/mpsc.c:late_initcall(mpsc_late_console_init);
./drivers/media/platform/omap/omap_vout.c:late_initcall(omap_vout_init);
./drivers/media/pci/cx25821/cx25821-alsa.c:late_initcall(cx25821_alsa_init);
./drivers/media/pci/saa7134/saa7134-alsa.c:late_initcall(saa7134_alsa_init);
./drivers/dma/dmatest.c:late_initcall(dmatest_init);
./drivers/rapidio/rio-scan.c:late_initcall(rio_basic_attach);
./drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe_frontend.c:late_initcall(boot_wait_for_devices);
./drivers/platform/x86/dell-laptop.c:late_initcall(dell_init);
./drivers/firmware/memmap.c:late_initcall(firmware_memmap_init);
./drivers/firmware/edd.c:late_initcall(edd_init);
./drivers/firmware/efi/reboot.c:late_initcall(efi_shutdown_init);
./drivers/input/keyboard/gpio_keys.c:late_initcall(gpio_keys_init);
./drivers/pci/pci.c:late_initcall(pci_resource_alignment_sysfs_init);
./drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c:late_initcall(pci_sysfs_init);
./drivers/macintosh/via-pmu-led.c:late_initcall(via_pmu_led_init);
./drivers/macintosh/via-pmu-event.c:late_initcall(via_pmu_event_init);
./drivers/ide/sgiioc4.c:late_initcall(ioc4_ide_init); /* Call only after IDE init is done */
./drivers/ide/ide-cs.c:late_initcall(init_ide_cs);
./drivers/rtc/Kconfig:	  The driver for this RTC device must be loaded before late_initcall
./drivers/rtc/hctosys.c:late_initcall(rtc_hctosys);
./drivers/irqchip/irq-vic.c:late_initcall(vic_pm_init);
./drivers/power/avs/smartreflex.c:late_initcall(sr_init);
./drivers/power/charger-manager.c:late_initcall(charger_manager_init);
./fs/btrfs/super.c:late_initcall(init_btrfs_fs);
./fs/afs/main.c:late_initcall(afs_init);	/* must be called after net/ to create socket */
./fs/ubifs/super.c:late_initcall(ubifs_init);
./kernel/sched/core.c:late_initcall(sched_init_debug);
./kernel/time/timekeeping_debug.c:late_initcall(tk_debug_sleep_time_init);
./kernel/taskstats.c:late_initcall(taskstats_init);
./kernel/printk/printk.c:late_initcall(printk_late_init);
./kernel/bpf/arraymap.c:late_initcall(register_array_map);
./kernel/bpf/arraymap.c:late_initcall(register_prog_array_map);
./kernel/bpf/hashtab.c:late_initcall(register_htab_map);
./kernel/trace/trace_events.c:late_initcall(event_trace_self_tests_init);
./kernel/trace/bpf_trace.c:late_initcall(register_kprobe_prog_ops);
./kernel/trace/trace.c:late_initcall(clear_boot_tracer);
./kernel/trace/trace_kprobe.c:late_initcall(kprobe_trace_self_tests_init);
./kernel/trace/trace_events_filter.c:late_initcall(ftrace_test_event_filter);
./kernel/trace/trace_kdb.c:late_initcall(kdb_ftrace_register);
./kernel/trace/ring_buffer.c:late_initcall(test_ringbuffer);
./kernel/kprobes.c:late_initcall(debugfs_kprobe_init);
./kernel/rcu/update.c:late_initcall(rcu_verify_early_boot_tests);
./kernel/panic.c:late_initcall(init_oops_id);
./kernel/system_keyring.c:late_initcall(load_system_certificate_list);
./kernel/power/qos.c:late_initcall(pm_qos_power_init);
./kernel/power/Kconfig:	  late_initcall.
./kernel/power/main.c:late_initcall(pm_debugfs_init);
./kernel/power/suspend_test.c:late_initcall(test_suspend);
./lib/list_sort.c:late_initcall(list_sort_test);
./lib/random32.c:late_initcall(prandom_reseed);
./mm/kmemleak.c:late_initcall(kmemleak_late_init);
./mm/failslab.c:late_initcall(failslab_debugfs_init);
./mm/memory.c:late_initcall(fault_around_debugfs);
./mm/early_ioremap.c:late_initcall(check_early_ioremap_leak);
./mm/cma_debug.c:late_initcall(cma_debugfs_init);
./mm/page_owner.c:late_initcall(pageowner_init)
./mm/page_alloc.c:late_initcall(fail_page_alloc_debugfs);
./mm/swapfile.c:late_initcall(max_swapfiles_check);
./mm/zswap.c:late_initcall(init_zswap);
./net/ipv4/ipconfig.c:late_initcall(ip_auto_config);
./net/ipv4/tcp_cong.c:late_initcall(tcp_congestion_default);
./net/core/filter.c:late_initcall(register_sk_filter_ops);
./net/bluetooth/selftest.c:late_initcall(bt_selftest_init);
./security/integrity/evm/evm_main.c:late_initcall(init_evm);
./security/integrity/ima/ima_main.c:late_initcall(init_ima);	/* Start IMA after the TPM is available */
./security/apparmor/crypto.c:late_initcall(init_profile_hash);
./security/keys/trusted.c:late_initcall(init_trusted);
./security/keys/encrypted-keys/encrypted.c:late_initcall(init_encrypted);
./security/keys/process_keys.c:late_initcall(init_root_keyring);
./sound/soc/fsl/p1022_rdk.c:late_initcall(p1022_rdk_init);
./sound/soc/fsl/phycore-ac97.c:late_initcall(imx_phycore_init);

-- 
regards,
-grygorii