Subject: [PATCH 1/3] Documentation: dt: keystone: provide SoC specific compatible flags

From: [email-masked] (Nishanth Menon)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:01:29 -0500

On 09/25/2015 10:18 AM, santosh shilimkar wrote:
> On 9/25/2015 7:50 AM, Nishanth Menon wrote:
[...]
>> But, how about userspace
>> needing to know which SoC they are on, without needing to depend on
>> board->soc mapping? How do we help resolve that?
>>
> Why the user space should care about exact SOC ?

examples vary - trivial one is: debug tools like omapconf[1] or testing
tools like opentest[2] need some standard way to ensure Linux kernel is
functional - trusting the least set of parameters is usually what we
would prefer. while building a generic distro such as debian or yocto,
one prefers NOT to need to do a package build per SoC/perboard - that
never scales. instead, you'd like the same application run on different
systems dynamically.

[1] https://github.com/omapconf/omapconf
[2] http://arago-project.org/wiki/index.php/Opentest
-- 
Regards,
Nishanth Menon