Subject: [PATCH] [v2] arm64: efi: make sure vmlinux load address aligned on 2MB

From: [email-masked] (Timur Tabi)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:54:09 -0500

On 10/29/2015 08:48 AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>> >There is another (existing) problem I spotted, in that we'll sometimes
>> >move the kernel to a worse address. If the kernel was loaded at a valid
>> >address (i.e. image_addr % SZ_2MB == TEXT_OFFSET), but not at the
>> >preferred offset, we try to relocate it, even if it's already at the
>> >lowest possible address.
>> >

> Indeed. Unlikely to occur in practice, since UEFI mostly allocates top
> down, but it would indeed be better to drop the new allocation and
> simply use the existing one if it is not an improvement.

So you're saying that if we modify our UEFI so that it always loads the 
kernel at dram_base + TEXT_OFFSET, then one day in the future the kernel 
will skip the relocation?

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the
Code Aurora Forum, a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project.