Subject: [PATCH 1/4] ARM: dt: mvebu: ix4-300d: remove whole flash partition

From: [email-masked] (Sebastian Hesselbarth)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:38:15 +0100

On 28.11.2015 17:52, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 12:14:05PM +0100, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
>> Current NAND node has an additional flash partition for the whole
>> flash overlapping with real partitions. Remove this partition as
>> the whole flash is already represented by the NAND device itself.
> 
> If i remember correctly, we discussed this when the contribution was
> made. I think the stock firmware might use this for applying updates.
> Maybe Benoit can comment?

Yes, please.

> If so, removing this will break compatibility with stock firmware. Do
> we want to do that? There are a few other mvebu dts files with a
> partition spanning the whole flash. Should we remove them as well?

Well, there is already a mtd device that spans the whole flash so
what is the purpose of another "partition" that isn't a part but
all of the device? Actually, I doubt that a FW update will wipe
the flash as a whole, i.e. including boot loader, boot env, user
config.

Anyway, let's see if Benoit can shed some light on this.

FWIW, neither single partitions nor a combined partitions node
should be a direct sub-node of the _controller_ but a NAND
_device_ node instead. Luckily, multi-device systems are not that
common, so I guess we wait with it until such a system pops up for
testing.

Sebastian