Subject: [PATCH v2 1/2] scripts: Add a recorduidiv program

From: [email-masked] (Michal Marek)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:43:47 +0100

On 2015-12-01 17:19, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 05:07:05PM +0100, Michal Marek wrote:
>> So, both recordmcount and the new recordudiv program are idempotent.
>> They check if the to-be-added section is already present and do nothing.
> 
> They hardly "do nothing", as the (eg) recordmcount plasters the build
> log with warnings.  A solution to that would be to make recordmcount
> silent if the section is already present.

Right, there is a warning. The recorduidiv program exits silently.

>> So the result is correct even with CCACHE_HARDLINK, just the
>> intermediate file might be incorrect. If this still is considered an
>> issue, I suggest clearing CCACHE_HARDLINK when using any of these
>> postprocessors, so as not to penalize other use cases.
> 
> Another solution would be to have the top level make file unset the
> CCACHE_HARDLINK environment variable if any of the options which enable
> in-place editing of object files is enabled.

This is what I meant, sorry for not being clear.

> Looking at the ccache
> code, the environment variable has to be deleted from the environment
> to turn off the option - and I'm not sure whether make can delete
> environment variables.  It certainly can override them, but I see
> nothing in the info pages which suggests that environment variables
> can be deleted by a makefile.

unexport CCACHE_HARDLINK

will do the trick.

Michal