Subject: ION DTS changes for HiKey in -next

From: [email-masked] (Laura Abbott)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:14:35 -0800

On 1/8/16 5:55 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 12:44:39PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 09:02:14PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 05:37:44PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
>>
>>>> I was just looking at DTs in -next and noticed that there is a patch
>>>> 59dfafd03fc (arm64: dts: Add dts files to enable ION on Hi6220 SoC)
>>>> which adds at DT doing something for ION.  Are we sure this should be
>>>> going into the main production DT?  The bindings haven't been reviewed
>>>> as far as I can tell, the matching driver is only in staging and hasn't
>>>> been posted upstream.
>>
>>> Isn't "staging" upstream enough for this?  :)
>>
>> I wouldn't have thought so, DTs are supposed to be an ABI so we want
>> proper review and having had a quick glance this doesn't look like it's
>> a hardware description so it's not clear to me it should be in DT at all.
>
> Indeed.
>
> The driver and the binding before that don't really belong either,
> I would have NAK'd those on devicetree at vger.kernel.org, though it
> appears I either missed them or they never made it to that list.
>
>  From my PoV there should not be a platform-specific ION binding. If we
> need one at all, people should work on the proposed generic binding [1]
> or figure out how to do this with the existing reserved-memory bindings.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.
>
> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/10/6/854

I posted v2 back in November
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.driver-project.devel/80475)
but there wasn't much in the way of review comments. More feedback there
would be appreciated or I can resend.

Thanks,
Laura