Subject: [GIT PULL] NXP LPC32xx Platform Updates for v4.6 #1

From: [email-masked] (Vladimir Zapolskiy)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 00:56:43 +0200

Hi Olof,

On 24.02.2016 23:36, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 03:41:58AM +0200, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:
>> Hi Arnd, Olof, Kevin,
>>
>> please consider to include NXP LPC32xx platfrom updates (#1) for v4.6.
>>
>> The main change is a switchover to a common clock framework driver
>> for LPC32xx, this also allows to reuse a shared LPC32xx clockevent
>> driver, and hence remove legacy clock and timer drivers from
>> arch/arm/mach-lpc32xx.
>>
>> I'm adding an official LPC32xx maintainer Roland to Cc, however
>> he seems to be unresponsive for a quite long time (since 2014).
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> The following changes since commit 92e963f50fc74041b5e9e744c330dca48e04f08d:
>>
>>   Linux 4.5-rc1 (2016-01-24 13:06:47 -0800)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>   https://github.com/vzapolskiy/linux.git lpc32xx/soc
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to 0ac1a101f5dd28c3894be3c0230ee7ea2e05e8aa:
>>
>>   arm: lpc32xx: remove direct control of GPIOs from shared mach file (2016-02-11 02:27:04 +0200)
> 
> In the future, please use the decription you wrote above as part of a tag
> description, and sign your tags. 

got it, will do. Please let me know, if this pull request should be
resubmitted.

> For extra credit, get other kernel developers
> to sign your key (easiest done at conferences, but maybe there are other
> developers in your local area that you can meet up with).

I'll ask nearby guys to sign my key on Free Thursday event next week.

> It indeed seems like Roland has gone silent lately. This happens from time to
> time, but it's always good to know if it's intentional (and if he's coming
> back) or not. Meanwhile, we can merge patches after review but I don't have
> hardware to test on so I'd have to rely on you getting that right.

All the proposed changes are found on LAKML, and thanks to Sylvain Lemieux
for his spent time to test this pull request independently, plus Sylvain
also tested my irqchip changes on top of this pull request, which
bring the platform back to life.

I would really appreciate, if this pull request is accepted for v4.6, if it
happens then most probably v4.7 will contain all needed irqchip fixes --
this pull request removes a duplicated timer driver, which in turn strictly
depends on a legacy platform clock driver (removed) and on hardware irq
numbering provided by a legacy irqchip driver (will be removed in v4.7
hopefully).

I've discussed the situation with Arnd some time ago [1], the LPC32xx
platform is broken since v3.18-rc1 dated October 2014, and about that
time Roland presumably lost his interest in maintaining the platform...

> If we get regression reports we'll have to re-evaluate the approach. :)

Sure.

> Roland, any chance we can get a word from you on this? Thanks!
> 

[1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2015-November/384916.html

--
With best wishes,
Vladimir