Subject: [PATCH] drm/fb_cma_helper: Implement fb_mmap callback

From: [email-masked] (Robin Murphy)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 10:52:44 +0000

On 16/03/16 19:14, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 04:28:25PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 02:57:49PM +0000, Robin Murphy wrote:
>>> In the absence of an fb_mmap callback, the fbdev code falls back to a
>>> naive implementation which relies upon the DMA address being the same
>>> as the physical address, and the buffer being physically contiguous
>>> from there. Whilst this often holds for standard CMA allocations via
>>> the platform's regular DMA ops, if the allocation is provided by an
>>> IOMMU then such assumptions can fall apart spectacularly.
>>>
>>> To resolve this, reroute the fb_mmap call to the appropriate DMA API
>>> implementation, as per the other cma_helper calls.
>>>
>>> Signed-off-by: Robin Murphy <[email-masked]>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Hi dri-devel,
>>>
>>> This is an empirical fix for something I tickled via the newly-added
>>> ARM HDLCD driver on a Juno platform - I have no idea whatsoever about
>>> how "proper" it is in terms of the DRM infrastructure, so feel free to
>>> treat this as a bug report rather than an actual patch if appropriate ;)
>>
>> I think the best case would be if we could have a generic fbdev helper
>> that remaps to dumb mmap support. But that's a bit tricky to pull of:
>> 1. from fb_info we can get at the fbdev drm_framebuffer.
>> 2. from a drm_framebuffer we can get at the underlying backing storage
>> object using fb->funcs->get_handle.
>> 3. With that handle we could go into the dumb mmap support (using als the
>> vma) and create the mmap.
>>
>> Except that ->get_handle needs a file_priv, and that just exist for the
>> fbdev emulation kms client. I guess we could fix that by creating a
>> minimal fake drm file_priv for the fbdev emulation (and treat it more like
>> any other kms client), but I think that's way too much work when this
>> simple patch here gets the job done.
>
> I think first, a different question needs to be answered:
>
> include/uapi/linux/fb.h:
>
> struct fb_fix_screeninfo {
>          char id[16];                    /* identification string eg "TT Builtin" */
>          unsigned long smem_start;       /* Start of frame buffer mem */
>                                          /* (physical address) */
>
> Should a DMA address be exposed through smem_start, rather than a
> physical address as the long-standing documentation quoted above
> has stated?
>
> Is it, in fact, a driver bug to store something that isn't a physical
> address there?

We could also go into whether it's right to store even a physical 
address in something which isn't necessarily big enough...

After the time I spent in the bowels of the fbdev code figuring out this 
crash, I fear that if we dig too deep we may awaken something in the 
darkness ;)

Robin.