Subject: [PATCH 6/7] iommu/arm-smmu: Decouple context format from kernel config

From: [email-masked] (Robin Murphy)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:14:57 +0100

On 25/04/16 12:02, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 06:38:04PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:
>> On 21/04/16 17:30, Will Deacon wrote:
>>> Hi Robin,
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 06:13:02PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:
>>>> The way the driver currently forces an AArch32 or AArch64 context format
>>>> based on the kernel config and SMMU architecture version is suboptimal,
>>>> in that it makes it very hard to support oddball mix-and-match cases
>>>> like the SMMUv1 64KB supplement, or situations where the reduced table
>>>> depth of an AArch32 short descriptor context may be desirable under an
>>>> AArch64 kernel. It also only happens to work on current implementations
>>>> which do support all the relevant formats.
>>>>
>>>> Introduce an explicit notion of context format, so we can manage that
>>>> independently and get rid of the inflexible #ifdeffery.
>>>
>>> Thanks for doing all of this! One comment on the page size stuff:
>>>
>>>> +	if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_64BIT) || cfg->fmt == ARM_SMMU_CTX_FMT_NONE) {
>>>> +		switch (PAGE_SIZE) {
>>>> +		case SZ_64K:
>>>> +			if (smmu->features & ARM_SMMU_FEAT_FMT_AARCH64_64K) {
>>>> +				cfg->fmt = ARM_SMMU_CTX_FMT_AARCH64;
>>>> +				break;
>>>> +			} /* else fall through */
>>>> +		case SZ_16K:
>>>> +			if (smmu->features & ARM_SMMU_FEAT_FMT_AARCH64_16K) {
>>>> +				cfg->fmt = ARM_SMMU_CTX_FMT_AARCH64;
>>>> +				break;
>>>> +			} /* else fall through */
>>>> +		case SZ_4K:
>>>> +			if (smmu->features & ARM_SMMU_FEAT_FMT_AARCH64_4K)
>>>> +				cfg->fmt = ARM_SMMU_CTX_FMT_AARCH64;
>>>> +		}
>>>> +	}
>>>
>>> The io-pgtable code (arm_lpae_restrict_pgsizes) already does something
>>> *very* similar to this, using the pgsize_bitmap as input. Can you not
>>> just choose the ARM_SMMU_CTX_FMT_AARCH64 here and set the pgsize_bitmap
>>> to represent all page sizes supported by the hardware? That way, you should
>>> end up with the best option coming back from the pgtable code (I do this
>>> in the v3 driver, fwiw).
>>
>> It took a while to come back to me, but the problem is that we can't call
>> alloc_io_pgtable_ops(fmt...) before choosing either ARM_64_LPAE_Sx or
>> ARM_32_LPAE_Sx for fmt, but if we commit to 64-bit we'll get stuck later
>> without the possibility of falling back to AArch32 if it turns out we don't
>> have a viable AArch64 granule.
>
> In what case would you not have a viable AArch64 granule, but the option
> of falling back to AArch32 makes things work?

A 4KB page kernel with MMU-401, whose only supported AArch64 granule is 
supposedly 64KB.

>> Plus we'd have to remove the LPAE page sizes
>> from the bitmap beforehand in the case we don't support AARCH64_4K lest we
>> end up with a phantom format the hardware doesn't actually do, and it all
>> starts getting rather horrible...
>
> I'm not following. The io-pgtable code shouldn't give you back a phanton
> format.

If you call alloc_io_pgtable_ops() with ARM_64_LPAE_S2 and an unmolested 
MMU-401 pgsize_bitmap, you get back a 4K granule v8 pagetable, which per 
a strict reading of the TRM isn't supported (although does appear to 
work in practice...)

Consider also a stage 1 SMMU supporting all formats but only with 4K 
granules: with a 64K page arm64 kernel, the presence of AARCH64_4K 
support would lead us into arm_64_lpae_alloc_pgtable_s1(), which would 
be tricked into giving us back a 64K granule v8 format by the short 
descriptor large page size matching PAGE_SIZE, and things would 
definitely go downhill from there.

Given that, I think the only truly safe thing to do is to pass an 
explicit granule in the io_pgtable_cfg and just get rid of the 
bitmap-based guessing in arm_lpae_restrict_pgsizes() - otherwise, we'd 
still have to pre-restrict the bitmap, making it pretty much redundant 
anyway. I'll have a hack at that - in the meantime please feel free to 
queue patches 1-3 if you're happy with them, as that part is still 
feature-complete without all this context stuff.

Robin.

> Will