Subject: [PATCH RFC] Watchdog: sbsa_gwdt: Enhance timeout range

From: [email-masked] (Timur Tabi)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 11:17:29 -0500

Pratyush Anand wrote:
> Its unique to SBSA because you have very little timeout here. kexec-tools
> upstream does not have any mechanism to handle watchdog timeout. Lets say even
> if we implement a framework there, the best it can do is to ping the watchdog
> again.

Ok, so it's more accurate to say that kexec has a minimum watchdog 
timeout requirement.  What happens if the system admin sets the timeout 
to 5 seconds arbitrarily?  The system will reset during kexec, no matter 
which hardware is used.

This still sounds like a band-aid to me.  We're just assuming that we 
need a timeout of at least 20 seconds to support kexec.  Frankly, this 
still sounds like a problem the kexec developers needs to acknowledge 
and deal with.

Still I'm okay with a patch that extends the timeout by programming WCV, 
but it has to be commented as a hack specifically to support kexec 
because the timeout might be too short.  Then Wim can decide whether he 
supports such changes.

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora
Forum, a Linux Foundation collaborative project.