Subject: [PATCH v7 1/6] mfd: max8997: Use regmap to access registers

From: [email-masked] (Krzysztof Kozlowski)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 06:43:19 +0200

On 06/01/2016 01:37 PM, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:
> Hi Krzysztof,
> 
> One thing drew my attention while reviewing this again:
> max8997_led_brightness_set() can sleep, but the brightness_set
> op it is assigned to must not sleep. At the time when this driver was
> merged we were delegating brightness setting to workqueues task
> in LED class drivers that can sleep during this call.
> This must have been overlooked, which is even more likely, taking into
> account that the initial patch doesn't have LED maintainer's ack.
> 
> The non-sleeping requirement is motivated by the fact that brightness
> can be set from softirq context, e.g. when timer trigger is enabled.
> 
> Currently LED class drivers don't have to use workqueue on their own,
> but are required to use brightness_set_blocking op instead of
> brightness_set if they can sleep while setting brightness.
> 
> Apart of that, I think that operations in max8997_led_brightness_set()
> should be protected with mutex to assure leaving the device in
> a consistent state in case of concurrent calls.
> 
> I am aware that this is out of this patch scope, but I'd be grateful
> if you could apply those changes and test them on hardware if you have
> an access to.

The problem you mention existed before the patch. It was using sleeping
primitives (mutex) before adding regmap so I understand you don't have
anything against this patch, right?

I can fix the issue but it will be a little bit trickier because I don't
have the hardware. Other guys in the team tested the patchset for me so
I rely on them in that matter. Anyway I'll work on it.

Best regards,
Krzysztof