Subject: [RFC PATCH] clocksource: arm_arch_timer: disable the evtstrm via the cmdline

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Lezcano)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 14:59:11 +0200

On 06/20/2016 10:21 AM, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 10:08:38PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> On 06/17/2016 03:43 PM, Will Deacon wrote:
>>
>> [ Cc'ed tglx ]
>>
>>> Disabling the eventstream can be useful for debugging and development
>>> purposes
>>
>> If it is for debugging and development, why upstream this change ?
>
> Mainly because it's desirable to be able to debug systems remotely, on
> machines that you don't have direct access to and where recompiling the
> kernel isn't necessarily an option. There are plenty of "no*" kernel
> parameters already that fall into a similar category.

Hi Will,

if the kernel is in development and debug, why this option can't be part 
of debugging code ?

If recompiling isn't an option, how this can be for "debugging and 
development" ?

I'm not a big fan of the all the specific driver options for the kernel 
parameters. If there is a real need to disable some parts of a driver, 
it would be much more interesting to write a framework for that and then 
use it from arm_arch_timer, thus giving the other drivers the 
opportunity to provide the same feature.

   -- Daniel

-- 
  <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org ? Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog