Subject: [PATCH V2 03/10] Documentation: dt-bindings: firmware: tegra: add bindings of the BPMP

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:05:50 -0600

On 07/11/2016 08:22 AM, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 05:04:24PM +0800, Joseph Lo wrote:
>> The BPMP is a specific processor in Tegra chip, which is designed for
>> booting process handling and offloading the power management, clock
>> management, and reset control tasks from the CPU. The binding document
>> defines the resources that would be used by the BPMP firmware driver,
>> which can create the interprocessor communication (IPC) between the CPU
>> and BPMP.

>> diff --git a/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/firmware/nvidia,tegra186-bpmp.txt b/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/firmware/nvidia,tegra186-bpmp.txt

>> +NVIDIA Tegra Boot and Power Management Processor (BPMP)
>> +
>> +The BPMP is a specific processor in Tegra chip, which is designed for
>> +booting process handling and offloading the power management, clock
>> +management, and reset control tasks from the CPU. The binding document
>> +defines the resources that would be used by the BPMP firmware driver,
>> +which can create the interprocessor communication (IPC) between the CPU
>> +and BPMP.
>> +
>> +Required properties:
>> +- name : Should be bpmp
>> +- compatible
>> +    Array of strings
>> +    One of:
>> +    - "nvidia,tegra186-bpmp"
>> +- mboxes : The phandle of mailbox controller and the mailbox specifier.
>> +- shmem : List of the phandle of the TX and RX shared memory area that
>> +	  the IPC between CPU and BPMP is based on.
>
> I think you can use memory-region here.

Isn't memory-region intended for references into the /reserved-memory 
node. If so, that isn't appropriate in this case since this property 
typically points at on-chip SRAM that isn't included in the OS's view of 
"system RAM".

Or, should /reserved-memory be used even for (e.g. non-DRAM) memory 
regions that aren't represented by the /memory/reg property?

>> diff --git a/include/dt-bindings/clock/tegra186-clock.h b/include/dt-bindings/clock/tegra186-clock.h

>> +/** @file */
>> +
>> +#ifndef _MACH_T186_CLK_T186_H
>> +#define _MACH_T186_CLK_T186_H
>> +
>> +/**
>> + * @defgroup clock_ids Clock Identifiers
>
> Aren't these doxygen markup? Does that work with docbook? If not,
> remove.

These headers are part of the BPMP FW release. It's preferable not to 
edit them when incorporating them into the Linux kernel (or any other SW 
stack) to simplify integration of any updated versions of the header, by 
removing the need to edit the file when doing so. Given that, do you 
still object?