Subject: [PATCH V7 2/3] ACPI: Add support for ResourceSource/IRQ domain mapping

From: [email-masked] (Hanjun Guo)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:07:48 +0800

On 2016/11/30 0:26, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Agustin Vega-Frias
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Hi Rafael,
>>
>>
>> On 2016-11-29 07:43, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Lorenzo Pieralisi
>>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> Hi Agustin,
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 05:40:24PM -0500, Agustin Vega-Frias wrote:
>>>>> Hi Rafael,
>>>>>
>>>>> Can you chime in on Lorenzo's feedback and the discussion below?
>>>>> It would be great if you can comment on the reason ACPI does things
>>>>> in a certain way.
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Lorenzo,
>>>>>
>>>>> On 2016-11-25 06:40, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
>>>>>> Hi Agustin,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 04:15:48PM +0000, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> [...]
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> @@ -448,6 +449,7 @@ bool acpi_dev_resource_interrupt(struct
>>>>>>>> acpi_resource *ares, int index,
>>>>>>>>  {
>>>>>>>>   struct acpi_resource_irq *irq;
>>>>>>>>   struct acpi_resource_extended_irq *ext_irq;
>>>>>>>> + struct fwnode_handle *src;
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>   switch (ares->type) {
>>>>>>>>   case ACPI_RESOURCE_TYPE_IRQ:
>>>>>>>> @@ -460,7 +462,7 @@ bool acpi_dev_resource_interrupt(struct
>>>>>>>> acpi_resource *ares, int index,
>>>>>>>>                   acpi_dev_irqresource_disabled(res, 0);
>>>>>>>>                   return false;
>>>>>>>>           }
>>>>>>>> -         acpi_dev_get_irqresource(res, irq->interrupts[index],
>>>>>>>> +         acpi_dev_get_irqresource(res, irq->interrupts[index],
>>>>>>>> NULL,
>>>>>>>>                                    irq->triggering, irq->polarity,
>>>>>>>>                                    irq->sharable, true);
>>>>>>>>           break;
>>>>>>>> @@ -470,7 +472,8 @@ bool acpi_dev_resource_interrupt(struct
>>>>>>>> acpi_resource *ares, int index,
>>>>>>>>                   acpi_dev_irqresource_disabled(res, 0);
>>>>>>>>                   return false;
>>>>>>>>           }
>>>>>>>> -         acpi_dev_get_irqresource(res, ext_irq->interrupts[index],
>>>>>>>> +         src =
>>>>>>>> acpi_get_irq_source_fwhandle(&ext_irq->resource_source);
>>>>>>> Is there a reason why we need to do the domain look-up here ?
>>>>> Because we need to pass the resource down to acpi_dev_get_irqresource
>>>>> which does the mapping through acpi_register_irq/acpi_register_gsi.
>>>>>
>>>>>>> I would like to understand if, by reshuffling the code (and by
>>>>>>> returning
>>>>>>> the resource_source to the calling code - somehow), it would be
>>>>>>> possible
>>>>>>> to just mirror what the OF code does in of_irq_get(), namely:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> (1) parse the irq entry -> of_irq_parse_one()
>>>>>>> (2) look the domain up -> irq_find_host()
>>>>>>> (3) create the mapping -> irq_create_of_mapping()
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> You wrote the code already, I think it is just a matter of shuffling
>>>>>>> it around (well, minus returning the resource_source to the caller
>>>>>>> which is phandle equivalent in DT).
>>>>> This is one area in which DT and ACPI are fundamentally different. In DT
>>>>> once the flattened blob is expanded the data is fixed. In ACPI the data
>>>>> returned by a method can change. In reality most methods like CRS return
>>>>> constants, but given that per-spec they are methods the interpreter has
>>>>> to be involved, which makes it an expensive operation. I believe that is
>>>>> the reason the resource parsing code in ACPI attempts all mappings
>>>>> during
>>>>> the bus scan. Rafael can you comment on this?
>>>>>
>>>>> One way to do what you suggest would be to defer IRQ mapping by, e.g.,
>>>>> populating res->start with the HW IRQ number and res->end with the
>>>>> fwnode.
>>>>> That way we can avoid having to walk the resource buffer when a mapping
>>>>> is needed. I don't think that approach would deviate much more from
>>>>> the spec from what the current ahead-of-time mapping does, but it would
>>>>> require more changes in the core code. An alternative would be to do
>>>>> that only for resources that fail to map.
>>>>>
>>>>>>> You abstracted away (2) and (3) behind acpi_register_irq(), that
>>>>>>> on anything than does not use ACPI_GENERIC_GSI is just glue code
>>>>>>> to acpi_register_gsi().
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Also, it is not a question on this patch but I ask it here because it
>>>>>>> is related. On ACPI you are doing the reverse of what is done in
>>>>>>> DT in platform_get_irq():
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> - get the resources already parsed -> platform_get_resource()
>>>>>>> - if they are disabled -> acpi_irq_get()
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> and I think the ordering is tied to my question above because
>>>>>>> you carry out the domain look up in acpi_dev_resource_interrupt()
>>>>>>> so that if for any reason it fails the corresponding resource
>>>>>>> is disabled so that we try to get it again through acpi_irq_get().
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I suspect you did it this way to make sure:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> a) keep the current ACPI IRQ parsing interface changes to a mininum
>>>>>>> b) avoid changing the behaviour on x86/ia64; in particular, calling
>>>>>>>   acpi_register_gsi() for the _same_ mapping (an IRQ that was already
>>>>>>>   registered at device creation resource parsing) multiple times can
>>>>>>>   trigger issues on x86/ia64
>>>>> You are correct about my reasons. I wanted to keep ACPI core code
>>>>> changes
>>>>> to a minimum, and I also needed to work within the current
>>>>> implementation
>>>>> which uses the pre-converted IRQ resources.
>>>>>
>>>>>>> I think that's a reasonable approach but I wanted to get these
>>>>>>> clarifications, I do not think you are far from getting this
>>>>>>> done but since it is a significant change I think it is worth
>>>>>>> discussing the points I raised above because I think the DT code
>>>>>>> sequence in of_irq_get() (1-2-3 above) is cleaner from an IRQ
>>>>>>> layer perspective (instead of having the domain look-up buried
>>>>>>> inside the ACPI IRQ resource parsing API).
>>>>>> I had another look and to achieve the above one way of doing that is to
>>>>>> implement acpi_irq_get() only for ACPI_GENERIC_GSI and stub it out for
>>>>>> !ACPI_GENERIC_GSI (ie return an error code so that on !ACPI_GENERIC_GSI
>>>>>> we would fall back to current solution for ACPI). Within acpi_irq_get()
>>>>>> you can easily carry out the same steps (1->2->3) above in ACPI
>>>>>> you have
>>>>>> the code already there I think it is easy to change the
>>>>>> acpi_irq_get_cb() interface to return a filled in struct irq_fwspec and
>>>>>> the interface would become identical to of_irq_get() that is an
>>>>>> advantage to maintain it from an IRQ maintainership perspective I
>>>>>> think,
>>>>>> that's my opinion.
>>>>> I think I get what you mean. I'll take a stab at implementing
>>>>> acpi_irq_get()
>>>>> in the way you suggest.
>>>>>
>>>>>> There is still a nagging snag though. When platform devices are
>>>>>> created, core ACPI code parse the resources through:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> acpi_dev_get_resources()
>>>>>>
>>>>>> and we _have_ to have way to avoid initializing IRQ resources that
>>>>>> have a dependency (ie there is a resource_source pointer that is valid
>>>>>> in their descriptors) that's easy to do if we think that's the right
>>>>>> thing to do and can hardly break current code (which ignores the
>>>>>> resource_source altogether).
>>>>> I'd rather keep the core code as-is with regard to the ahead-of-time
>>>>> conversion. Whether a resource source is available at the time of
>>>>> the bus
>>>>> scan should be transparent to the code in drivers/acpi/resource.c, and
>>>>> we need the initialization as a disabled resource to signal the need
>>>>> to retry anyway.
>>>>
>>>> Yes, exactly that's the nub. Your current code works, I am trying to
>>>> make it more modular and similar to the DT/irqdomain IRQ look-up path,
>>>> which has its advantages.
>>>>
>>>> There are two options IMHO:
>>>>
>>>> - always disable the resource if it has a resource_source dependency and
>>>> defer
>>>>   its parsing to acpi_irq_get() (where you can easily implement steps
>>>> 1-2-3 above).
>>>>   What I wanted to say is that, by disabling the resource if it has a
>>>>   resource_source dependency you can't break x86/ia64 (it is ignored at
>>>>   present - hopefully there is nothing that we are not aware of behind
>>>>   that choice). On x86/ia64 acpi_irq_get() would be an empty stub.
>>>>   This way you would keep the irqdomain look-up out of the ACPI resource
>>>>   parsing API, correct ?
>>>> - keep code as-is
>>>>
>>>> Your point on _CRS being _current_ resource setting is perfectly valid
>>>> so platform_get_resource() in platform_get_irq() must always take
>>>> precedence over acpi_irq_get() (which should just apply to disabled
>>>> resources), I am not sure that doing it the other way around is safe.
>>>>
>>>>> Rafael, do you have any other suggestions/feedback on how to go about
>>>>> doing this?
>>>>
>>>> Yes, comments very appreciated, these changes are not trivial and need
>>>> agreement.
>>>
>>> So I need more time.
>>
>> Please wait for V8 which will address some issues raised by Lorenzo.
>>
>>> But basically, _CRS can't really change on the fly AFAICS.  I'm not
>>> even sure it is valid for it to change at all after the first
>>> evaluation if _SRS/_PRS are not present.
>>
>> That's good to know and it opens more possibilities.
> Actually, to me it follows from the very purpose of _CRS that, as long
> as the device is enabled, it should be expected to return the same
> data every time it is evaluated, unless _SRS is invoked in the
> meantime.  Otherwise, it would be possible for the device's resources
> to change unexpectedly under a driver using it.

Agreed, here is the hotplug case:

For hotplug cases, _CRS is updated before the device is enabled. for example
for a memory hot add, BIOS will update the _CRS to collect memory address
ranges before notify OS, but once the BIOS notified OS to add the memory in
(BIOS will enable the device to set the _STA to functional), _CRS can't be updated.

Thanks
Hanjun