Subject: [PATCHv3 00/14] arm_pmu: ACPI support

From: [email-masked] (Anurup M)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 20:41:33 +0530

On Tuesday 11 April 2017 02:09 PM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This series implements ACPI support in the ARM PMU code. It borrows some code
> from Jeremy's series [1], but takes a different approach to probing and
> association, using the usual hotplug state machine, minimising external changes
> required, and simplifying the relationship with the common arm_pmu code.
>
> The first few patches are preparatory cleanup/refactoring, with the latter half
> of the series being specific to ACPI support.
>
> The series is based on Will's perf/updates branch [2]. I've pushed the whole
> series out to the arm/perf/acpi branch [3] of my kernel.org repo.
>
> Due to the innards of the hotplug callback framework, it's not entirely
> safe to register a PMU in a hotplug callback. Due to this, we can only
> associated hotplugged CPUs with a PMU if a matching CPU was around at
> probe time. A similar restriction already applies to DT systems. We may
> be able to relax this with some future work.
>
> I've given this some testing on a Juno platform (using SPIs). To see that IRQs
> are correctly associated, I've tested with the following:
>
>    $ taskset -c ${SOME_CPU_HERE} perf record \
>      -e armv8_pmuv3_0/cpu_cycles/ \
>      -e armv8_pmuv3_1/cpu_cycles/ \
>      cat /proc/interrupts
>   
> I've also booted with nr_cpus temporarily capped (passing maxcpus=) to test the
> association logic. This has also been tested in a VM using PPIs; I do not have
> access to a host machine which itself uses PPIs.

I have tried these patches on a Hisilicon D03 board.
The perf list, basic perf events and perf fuzzer results are all fine.

'perf list' on Hisilicon D03
--------------------------------

   L1-dcache-load-misses                              [Hardware cache event]
   L1-dcache-loads                                    [Hardware cache event]
   L1-dcache-store-misses                             [Hardware cache event]
   L1-dcache-stores                                   [Hardware cache event]
   L1-icache-load-misses                              [Hardware cache event]
   L1-icache-loads                                    [Hardware cache event]
   branch-load-misses                                 [Hardware cache event]
   branch-loads                                       [Hardware cache event]
   dTLB-load-misses                                   [Hardware cache event]
   iTLB-load-misses                                   [Hardware cache event]

   armv8_pmuv3_0/br_mis_pred/                         [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/br_pred/                             [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/bus_access/                          [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/bus_cycles/                          [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/cid_write_retired/                   [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/cpu_cycles/                          [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/exc_return/                          [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/exc_taken/                           [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/inst_retired/                        [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/inst_spec/                           [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l1d_cache/                           [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l1d_cache_refill/                    [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l1d_cache_wb/                        [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l1d_tlb_refill/                      [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l1i_cache/                           [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l1i_cache_refill/                    [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l1i_tlb_refill/                      [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l2d_cache/                           [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l2d_cache_refill/                    [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/l2d_cache_wb/                        [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/mem_access/                          [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/memory_error/                        [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/sw_incr/                             [Kernel PMU event]
   armv8_pmuv3_0/ttbr_write_retired/                  [Kernel PMU event]

Thanks,
Anurup

> Since v1 [4]:
> * Fix up ACPI bits per Lorenzo's request
> * Accumulate tags
> * Check presence of PMUv3
>
> Since v2 [5]:
> * Clean up GSIs when a request fails
> * Rename parse/unparse functions
> * Use cpuid_feature_extract_unsigned_field() for PMUVer
> * Drop parking protocol cleanups. I'll resend these later.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.
>
> [1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2017-January/482397.html
> [2] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/will/linux.git perf/updates
> [3] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mark/linux.git arm/perf/acpi
> [4] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2017-March/492897.html
> [5] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2017-April/499982.html
>
> Mark Rutland (14):
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: remove pointless PMU disabling
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: define armpmu_init_fn
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: fold init into alloc
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: factor out pmu registration
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: simplify cpu_pmu_request_irqs()
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: handle no platform_device
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: rename irq request/free functions
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: split cpu-local irq request/free
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: move irq request/free into probe
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: split out platform device probe logic
>    arm64: add function to get a cpu's MADT GICC table
>    drivers/perf: arm_pmu: add ACPI framework
>    arm64: pmuv3: handle !PMUv3 when probing
>    arm64: pmuv3: use arm_pmu ACPI framework
>
>   arch/arm64/include/asm/acpi.h   |   2 +
>   arch/arm64/kernel/perf_event.c  | 113 ++++++++----
>   arch/arm64/kernel/smp.c         |  10 ++
>   drivers/perf/Kconfig            |   4 +
>   drivers/perf/Makefile           |   3 +-
>   drivers/perf/arm_pmu.c          | 387 ++++++++++------------------------------
>   drivers/perf/arm_pmu_acpi.c     | 256 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>   drivers/perf/arm_pmu_platform.c | 235 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
>   include/linux/cpuhotplug.h      |   1 +
>   include/linux/perf/arm_pmu.h    |  22 ++-
>   10 files changed, 708 insertions(+), 325 deletions(-)
>   create mode 100644 drivers/perf/arm_pmu_acpi.c
>   create mode 100644 drivers/perf/arm_pmu_platform.c
>