Subject: [PATCH v5 2/2] acpi: apei: Add SEI notification type support for ARMv8

From: [email-masked] (James Morse)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 10:44:48 +0100

Hi Borislav!

On 18/10/17 10:25, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 05:17:27PM +0800, gengdongjiu wrote:
>> Thanks Borislav, can I write it as asynchronous exception or
>> asynchronous abort?
> 
> WTF?!

Yup.

> The thing is abbreviated as "SEI" and apparently means "System Error
> Interrupt". Nothing else.

ARM has 'external abort', which are either synchronous or asynchronous, both are
delivered as different types of exception.

Asynchronous external abort is treated as a special kind of interrupt, 'SError
Interrupt', (where SError stands for System Error, but its rarely written like
that). 'SEI' is a relatively new abbreviation for SError interrupt.

What should we call this thing? In the ACPI code I'd prefer 'SEI' as that is
what the ACPI spec calls it. Here we are talking about an GHES notification.

But in the arm64 arch code this should be called SError Interrupt as this is
what the ARM-ARM calls it. This code cares about exception routing and interrupt
masking.

But, I don't really care.

Thanks,

James