Subject: [PATCH 4/4] PM / Domains: Let the ->attach_dev() callback return an error code

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Hilman)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 14:10:17 -0700

Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Ulf, Rafael,
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Ulf Hansson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Typically an ->attach_dev() callback would fetch some PM resourses.
>>
>> Those operations, like for example clk_get() may fail with different
>> errors, including -EPROBE_DEFER. Instead of ignoring these errors and
>> potentially only print an error message, let's propagate them to give
>> callers the option to handle them.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Ulf Hansson <[email-masked]>
>
> Given that several patch series using ->attach_dev() are already floating
> around and will be in -next soon, what is the plan of getting this in?

Shall we take this as a Reviewed-by or Acked-by for the series?  :)

> Doing it ASAP (in v3.18-rc3)?

IMO, this isn't at all appropriate for -rc since it's not fixing a
regression. Also, this series includes other cleanups that are not
really fixes either.  At this point of the -rc cycle, we need to focus
only on regression fixes.

> Delaying this to v3.19-rc2, which will require an atomic fixing of its users?
> Any other option?

I don't see any users of this in -next yet, so I think doing a simple
patch to the prototype and fixing up any users before they hit -next is
the right approach.  Errors will be ignored, but that's not change from
today. :)

Then the rest of this cleanup and behavior change stuff can continue to
be reviewed and get broader testing before merge.

Kevin