Subject: MTK mt8173-evb: mainline unstable, and big-endian boot failures

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Hilman)
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 10:46:29 -0800

Hi Fan,

Fan Chen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I just checked that the problem cannot be reproduced (tested 100 times
> with your script) after flashing new firmware which we uploaded to
> github[0] yesterday.

Great news!

> This latest firmware got many fixes and also supports cluster idle, so
> we prefer testing with this new one Would you please test in your
> side? Thanks for your great help!!

I tested the latest firmware and it's booted 20+ times in a row without
failure, which is better than it ever did in the past, so it seems to
have fixed the idle problem.

I will keep an eye on the failures in kernelci.org and let you know if I
notice any other failures.

Thanks again for the updated firmware!

Speaking of updated firmware, is there any chance to make the default
version of the firmware significantly less noisy.  There is a TON of
output from the firmware before fastboot starts which makes the logs for
this board very noisy (same complaint on the mt8135.)

Kevin

>
>
> Best regards,
> Fan
>
> On Mon, 2016-02-01 at 17:17 -0800, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>> Hi Eddie,
>> 
>> Eddie Huang <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> [...]
>> 
>> > Thanks your patience to provide detail steps, we can reproduce this
>> > problem now. It seems something wrong in ATF, we still investigate how
>> > to fix it. We will provide you new ATF firmware once we have solution
>> 
>> Great, I'm glad you can reproduce it.  I was starting to worry it was
>> only my hardware with the problem.
>> 
>> Please let me know if there are firmware updates you'd like me to test
>> and I'll be happy to.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> 
>> Kevin