Subject: [PATCH 0/3] ALSA: hda - Avoid potential deadlock

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Hilman)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 11:01:34 -0700

Thierry Reding <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Thierry Reding <[email-masked]>
>
> The Tegra HDA controller driver committed in v3.16 causes deadlocks when
> loaded as a module. The reason is that the driver core will lock the HDA
> controller device upon calling its probe callback and the probe callback
> then goes on to create child devices for detected codecs and loads their
> modules via a request_module() call. This is problematic because the new
> driver will immediately be bound to the device, which will in turn cause
> the parent of the codec device (the HDA controller device) to be locked
> again, causing a deadlock.
>
> This problem seems to have been present since the modularization of the
> HD-audio driver in commit 1289e9e8b42f ("ALSA: hda - Modularize HD-audio
> driver"). On Intel platforms this has been worked around by splitting up
> the probe sequence into a synchronous and an asynchronous part where the
> request_module() calls are asynchronous and hence avoid the deadlock.
>
> An alternative proposal is provided in this series of patches. Rather
> than relying on explicit request_module() calls to load kernel modules
> for HDA codec drivers, this implements a uevent callback for the HDA bus
> to advertises the MODALIAS information to the userspace helper.
>
> Effectively this results in the same modules being loaded, but it uses
> the more canonical infrastructure to perform this. Deferring the module
> loading to userspace removes the need for the explicit request_module()
> calls and works around the recursive locking issue because both drivers
> will be bound from separate contexts.

Tested-by: Kevin Hilman <[email-masked]>

FWIW, I tested this on top of next-20150923, and it solves the boot
problem I'm seeing on tegra124-jetson-tk1 with module loading.

Kevin