Subject: [RFC PATCH 3/9] irqchip: GIC: Convert to EOImode == 1

From: [email-masked] (Marc Zyngier)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:03:16 +0100

On Wed, Jun 25 2014 at 01:50:12 PM, Rob Herring <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> So far, GICv2 has been used in with EOImode == 0. The effect of this
>> mode is to perform the priority drop and the deactivation of the
>> interrupt at the same time.
>>
>> While this works perfectly for Linux (we only have a single priority),
>> it causes issues when an interrupt is forwarded to a guest, and when
>> we want the guest to perform the EOI itself.
>>
>> For this case, the GIC architecture provides EOImode == 1, where:
>> - A write to the EOI register drops the priority of the interrupt and leaves
>> it active. Other interrupts at the same priority level can now be taken,
>> but the active interrupt cannot be taken again
>> - A write to the DIR marks the interrupt as inactive, meaning it can
>> now be taken again.
>>
>> We only enable this feature when booted in HYP mode. Also, as most device
>> trees are broken (they report the CPU interface size to be 4kB, while
>> the GICv2 CPU interface size is 8kB), output a warning if we're booted
>> in HYP mode, and disable the feature.
>
> Why not fix-up the size so the feature can be enabled?

Is it a bet we're willing to take? We'd end-up with a kernel that
doesn't boot if the DT was actually right. If we stay with EOImode==0,
we can still boot (KVM will probably be broken though).

	M.
-- 
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny.