Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Driver for pxa architectures

From: [email-masked] (Robert Jarzmik)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:33:06 +0100

Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]> writes:

... removed people not concerned by pxa story ...

>> As for XIP support, I don't have a clear view if it's a requirement for
>> multiplatform nor if it works in these builds.
>
> It would be nice to not have to support both options: if we put pxa into
> ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM, I'd like to remove the existing entry from the choice
> statement at the same time.
Ah I wasn't aware of that ... that will deserve some thought from me ...

>> > I think all of them are theoretically doable, but I wasn't expecting
>> > to ever get there.
>> Well, that makes me a goal to reach, doesn't it ? I'll stick to optimism here,
>> and we'll see within a year how far I manage to go :)
>
> Fair enough. Any work you do on this is highly appreciated anyway,
> regardless of whether you complete it or not. BTW, one thought I had
> a while ago was that we can move support for any PXA machines that are
> DT enabled into mach-mmp, which hopefully will be fully DT-only and
> multiplatform enabled at some point, and we can keep mach-pxa for the
> legacy board files if you don't succeed in converting them all.

Actually, this deserves another discussion alltogether. My plan was not to
convert all pxa board files to dt support, but all internal SoC IPs drivers +
mach/plat support.

Or put another way at the end :
 - there will be at least one pxa25x board which is fully DT converted
 - there will be at least one pxa27x board which is fully DT converted
 - there will be at least one pxa3xx board which is fully DT converted

 - there will be at least one pxa25x board which is not DT converted
 - there will be at least one pxa27x board which is not DT converted
 - there will be at least one pxa3xx board which is not DT converted

I want to keep the support for both legacy platform_data and DT for pxa
architecture. The idea I had was that only fully DT converted machines will
benefit from multiplatform support.

As for mach-mmp, I don't see how this could work, as there are architecture
specific parts that will probably remain, such as the suspend to RAM code
(arch/arm/mach-pxa/sleep.S). This might be doable, even if I don't see how.

Cheers.

-- 
Robert