Subject: [RFC PATCH] kernel/kallsyms.c: only show legal kernel symbol

From: [email-masked] (Rusty Russell)
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:58:29 +1030

Ming Lei <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Rusty Russell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Russell King - ARM Linux <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> Kallsyms tends to fall between modules and scripts.  I assume it's not
>> urgent, so no cc:stable on this one.
>
> Rusty, thanks a lot.
>
> BTW, there is already other report on the problem:
>
>    http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1310.3/02772.html

OK, *that* references the commit which is the problem, when went into
v3.11 (b9b32bf70f2fb710b07c94e13afbc729afe221da)

Unfortunately, *that commit* was cc:stable, so this needs to be
cc:stable as well, not just >= 3.11.

Looking back on those patches, there's a mass of cc:stable on them.  The
descriptions are either misleading, or these patches prevent theoretical
attacks which means they shouldn't have been cc:stable.

Grr...
Rusty.