Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 4/4] arm64: add host pv-vcpu-state support

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:40:46 +0100

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:44:53 +0100,
Joel Fernandes <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 12:24 PM Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > >  void kvm_arch_vcpu_put(struct kvm_vcpu *vcpu)
> > >  {
> > > +     kvm_update_vcpu_preempted(vcpu, true);
> >
> > This doesn't look right. With this, you are now telling the guest that
> > a vcpu that is blocked on WFI is preempted. This really isn't the
> > case, as it has voluntarily entered a low-power mode while waiting for
> > an interrupt. Indeed, the vcpu isn't running. A physical CPU wouldn't
> > be running either.
> 
> Can that be cured by just checking vcpu->preempted before calling
> kvm_update_vcpu_preempted() ?

It isn't obvious to me that this is the right thing to do.
vcpu->preempted is always updated on sched-out from the preempt
notifier if the vcpu was on the run-queue, so my guess is that it will
always be set when switching to another task.

What you probably want is to check whether the vcpu is blocked by
introspecting the wait-queue with:

	scuwait_active(kvm_arch_vcpu_get_wait(vcpu)

which will tell you whether you are blocking or not. We are already
using a similar construct for arming a background timer in this case.

	M.

-- 
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel