Subject: [PATCH] maintainership update for the Marvell Orion family of SOCs

From: [email-masked] (Arnaud Patard (Rtp))
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:53:12 +0200

Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Monday 30 April 2012, Arnaud Patard wrote:
>> Sorry to hijack a little bit this thread, but I got a few days ago a
>> 88ap510/dove device so I was wondering if the work currently done on
>> kirkwood would allow us the same kernel binary at least on dove and
>> kirkwood ? [1] If so, when it'll be possible, will it be considered to
>> move the corresponding board setup from
>> arch/arm/mach-{dove,kirkwood,...} into a new directory, like what was
>> done on recently on imx ?
>> 
>> [1] I'm only talking of kirkwood and dove because it's only what I can
>> test. Of course, if it can be a single kernel binary for
>> dove/kirkwood/mv78xx0/orion5x, it'll be even better.
>
> While I don't know of anyone working on this currently, I've also thought
> about it being doable, but I would defer it until we can probe all
> the devices using the device tree, because at that point it will get
> much simpler. We might just move all the DT based board support into

ok.

> the plat-orion directory and leave the other directories for the classic
> probing, eventually to be removed when the new stuff can handle all the
> machines that someone cares about.

I'm not sure we'll be able to remove any machine without being sure it's
working and it can take quite some time. orion/kirkwood/... are used on
NAS boxes so I guess people are not necessary updating their kernel on a
regular basis.

>
> Note that dove is fundamentally incompatible with the others at runtime,
> being ARMv7 based instead of ARMv5, but it could still live in the same
> directory, like we do for other platforms.

oh, right. I guess I need some sleep.

Arnaud