Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] PCI: armada8k: don't toggle reset twice

From: Baruch Siach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:42:39 +0200

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, Jan 13 2019, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Another look at this comment made me realize that we need comphy
>> initialization support in the kernel for PCIe reset to work correctly.
>>
>> The workaround that this patch proposes will not solve the problem for
>> v5.0, since the GPIO get_direction patch will only appear in v5.1.
>
> You could ask for it to be applied to v5.0 since a real fix depends on
> it.
>
> We have a bit of a balancing act to sort out. The revert will fix
> Macchiatobin. But i assume it breaks some other platforms which just
> started to work. Ideally we want the best of both worlds. So maybe
> getting the GPIO change into stable is the correct thing to do?

Support for that other board (Clearfog GT-8K) has only been introduced
in v5.0. The kernel never supported PCIe on that platform. So there is
no regression for CF GT-8K like there is for the Macchiatobin.

The issue is quite easy to deal with at the U-Boot level even for v5.0.
The workaround that this patch suggests is pretty ugly, as you noted. I
think we can live with no PCIe reset support in the kernel for another
release or two.

baruch

--
     http://baruch.siach.name/blog/                  ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
=}------------------------------------------------ooO--U--Ooo------------{=
   - [email-masked] - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel