Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] drm/dp: Move DisplayPort helpers into own module

From: Jani Nikula <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 12:24:22 +0200

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021, Thomas Zimmermann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 13.12.21 um 14:34 schrieb Jani Nikula:
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021, Thomas Zimmermann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Split-off DisplayPort functions from KMS helper library and move them
>>> into their own module. Reduces the size of drm_kms_helper.ko by ~50%.
>>>
>>> This patchset is part of an on-going effort to reduce the minimum
>>> binary size of the DRM core and helpers. It's helpful for systems with
>>> early-boot DRM graphics, which requires DRM to be linked into the
>>> kernel image.
>> 
>> Would it be time to add a subdirectory for each non-driver, non-core drm
>> module? We've touched this topic before. I find it increasingly hard to
>> remember which files are part of helpers. This would also help with the
>> arbitrary drm_dp_helper_mod.c naming.
>> 
>> Perhaps drivers/gpu/drm/drm_dp/?
>
> It's probably worth it, but I'd prefer a separate patchset and 
> discussion over this. It affects several modules.

I guess the only thing here that we need to get right from the start is
the new module name, everything else is relatively easy to change
later. drm_dp_helper.ko seems fine by me.

Note that this will also affect the drm_kms_helper.ko module parameters
dp_aux_i2c_speed_khz, dp_aux_i2c_transfer_size and
drm_dp_cec_unregister_delay, which will move to drm_dp_helper.ko.

See the monstrosity near the top of drm_kms_helper_common.c I had to add
for backward compatibility when I moved drm_edid_load.c from
drm_kms_helper.ko to drm.ko. That was perhaps different, as these seem
more like debug knobs, but at a minimum this needs to be mentioned in
the commit message, and certainly needs acks from Dave and/or Daniel.

BR,
Jani.

-- 
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel