Subject: [PATCH v3] ARM: OMAP2+: gpmc-smsc911x: add required smsc911x regulators

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Hilman)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:26:12 -0800

Tony Lindgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> * Kevin Hilman <[email-masked]> [120307 11:05]:
>> >
>> > I don't think the second smsc911x on the Overo, "smsc911x.1", would
>> > find it due to the dev_id.
>> 
>> It's not about finding the second regulator.  As stated in the
>> changelog, it's about the duplicate attempt to register the exact same
>> platform_device.
>> 
>> Duplicate attempts to register the exact same platform_device cause
>> kobject to panic and give up[1].  So, any platform that calls
>> gpmc_smsc911x_init() twice (Overo and T35 in mainline) will panic on
>> boot.
>> 
>> This patch fixes those platforms so they can boot.
>
> Yeah but I guess the second smsc911x instance still would not work,
> or am I missing something?

I don't know since my Overo expansion boards don't have a 2nd NIC, but I
suspect you're right.

However, my fix isn't addressing that.  I am fixing a problem where
mainline today will panic on some boards due to duplicate registration.

If the 2nd interface doesn't work, then the original patch that added
the regulators needs a rethink.  My patch to prevent the panic() is
needed for mainline.

Kevin