Subject: Re: [PATCH] arm64: dts: rockchip: enable rng on all rk356x

From: "Diederik de Haas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2024 13:01:09 +0100

On Mon Dec 2, 2024 at 11:40 AM CET, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 2.12.2024 o 04:55, Dragan Simic pisze:
>  > On 2024-12-02 00:46, Peter Robinson wrote:
>  >> The rk356x rng is available on both the rk3566 and rk3568
>  >> parts, the IP is all self contained within the SoCs so
>  >> it's enabled already by default on rk3568 so let's enable
>  >> it in the base rk356x.dtsi so it's enabled consistently
>  >> everywhere.
>  >
>  > Please, go through the mailing list threads [1][2] that have led us
>  > to the current state.  To sum it up, it isn't about what's supported
>  > in the two RK356x SoC variants, but about the RK3566's HWRNG being
>  > disabled because the testing showed that it produces unacceptably
>  > low quality of random data, for some yet unknown reason.
>
> So maybe there should be a comment in rockchip/rk3568.dtsi so we would 
> not get back to it again.

I suggested to put that in the (original) commit message:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-rockchip/6690040.iosknibmi9@bagend/
precisely because this was quite predictable to happen.

So a +1 on a comment in the dtsi with a link to the discussion in the
commit message.