Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/12] arm64: Kconfig: Update ARCH_EXYNOS select configs

From: Lee Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:31:33 +0100

On Fri, 01 Oct 2021, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> The vmlinux file is clearly too big and includes too much stuff that should
> be in loadable modules

This for me is the crux of the matter.

The ability to replace modules was only brought to light as an "and
also, this is possible".  However in retrospect, given the attention
this has received, it probably shouldn't have even mentioned, as it's
not that important.

We should focus on the benefits of making parts of the kernel modular
if technically possible.  The most prominent of those is core binary
size, since this has a direct impact on boot-time and RAM usage.

Reclaiming dead code after boot is certainly one way to tackle part of
the problem.  Ensuring that it's not even loaded into RAM in the first
place is a better more encompassing solution to both issues IMHO.

-- 
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Senior Technical Lead - Developer Services
Linaro.org │ Open source software for Arm SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel