Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/13] mm, dma, arm64: Reduce ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN to 8

From: Isaac Manjarres <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:38:47 -0700

On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 10:01:30PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> Patches 7-12 change some ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN uses to
> ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN. The crypto changes have been rejected by Herbert
> previously but I still included them here until the crypto code is
> refactored.
Hi Catalin,

Herbert merged the changes to the crypto code that were required to be
able to safely lower the minimum alignment for kmalloc in [1].

Given this, I don't think there's anything blocking this series from
being merged. The requirement for SWIOTLB to get to the minimum
kmalloc alignment down to 8 bytes shouldn't prevent this series from
being merged, as the amount of memory that is allocated for SWIOTLB
can be configured through the commandline to minimize the impact of
having SWIOTLB memory. Additionally, even if no SWIOTLB is present,
this series still offers memory savings on a lot of ARM64 platforms
by using the cache line size as the minimum alignment for kmalloc.

Can you please rebase this series so that it can be merged?

Thanks,
Isaac

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel